E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a warning that oil is low, when in fact it was not.
I replaced oil sensor and also oil and filter.
I still get the oil low warning, but oil is at correct level.
Any idea what can be causing that?
Hernan

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,446 Posts
Thousands of posts about such.
What brand sensor?
Unless Hella or dealer, you wasted your money.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Is it a red warning indicator?

That's low pressure, not level.

t

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
I was getting a warning that oil is low, when in fact it was not.
I replaced oil sensor and also oil and filter.
I still get the oil low warning, but oil is at correct level.
Any idea what can be causing that?
Hernan

WHAT COLOR IS THE WARNING?

If red, it means low oil pressure, this happens while driving AND typically when the car is idling, as when stopped at a stop sign or traffic light. It goes away when the engine speed increases above idle speed. This is a failure of the Oil Pressure Sending Unit, OR a failure of the oil pump, OR worn bearings.

If yellow then it means low oil level. The failure mode for this is that it gives a yellow oil light for 30-ish seconds after engine start, then goes out until the next engine start.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,994 Posts
Two other possibilities...rumor is that the oil level sensor is a temp sensor--I recall one thread years ago where it seemed that a very wrong oil triggered it. What oil are you using? How did you check your oil? In the a.m. on level ground I hope.

Another possibility sort of happened to me. My dipstick was the wrong one--somehow somewhere my car had gotten the wrong one...so you could potentially be reading full, but not be. I went two years being 5/8ths low...didn't know until I drained completely and filled with 6.9 qts. of oil...then got a new dipstick. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts