E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I filled the coolant after having the car apart for some time and as soon as I turned the ignition on the low coolant level light came on. I believe I bled the coolant system correctly. The thing is that I did it for the first time on my car and some junk came out of the radiator when I drained it - maybe some stuff that was supposed to fix minor leaks? Could the problem be that some of that stuff clogged down in the ET and the sensor thinks that the coolant is low because of it? I could not think of anything else that could be wrong.
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2004 325i
91 Posts
Honestly what I would do is let the car fully cool down, remove the ET cap and check the coolant level, I would also open the bleeder screw a little to let the pressure out to see if the coolant in the ET drops or not, if it does drop, there is probably air in the system, if there is, go ahead and re bleed

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
As i understand it, the coolant level sensor doesn't make direct contact with the coolant.
Did you follow the bleeding instructions on here?
Is the level actually low when cold?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
I would also open the bleeder screw a little to let the pressure out to see if the coolant in the ET drops or not, if it does drop, there is probably air in the system, if there is, go ahead and re bleed
Don't do this. As soon as the bleeder is opened coolant will flow back into the ET and overfilled it, then you have to bleed again.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Yesterday I filled the coolant after having the car apart for some time and as soon as I turned the ignition on the low coolant level light came on
with cold engine, open the ET cap and see if the coolant level is between MIN and MAX. If yes then check the sensor connection or try to swap out with the windshield tank sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
with cold engine, open the ET cap and see if the coolant level is between MIN and MAX. If yes then check the sensor connection or try to swap out with the windshield tank sensor.
I've tried to swap them and it solved nothing. So I think there is still some of that gunk down in the ET.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts