E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 325ci

The orange car is lit up on my dash with two red headlights. The problem being that my low beam headlights don't work at all. All other external lights work just fine(high beams, blinkers, fog lights, tail lights). I have checked every fuse associated with lighting and they are all fine. I would just like to know what to try next.

-All headlight equipment on the car is stock. I put aftermarket blackout tail lights on the car about 4 months ago (purchased from stealth auto) but can't imagine that having anything to do with the issue.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you have a picture of the car with headlights showing on your dash its your car telling you you need new headlights. It means they are no good.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i need an entirely new headlight assembly? that doesn't seem right since its just the low beams. Or are you saying both bulbs could have burnt out at the exact same time?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Broooo. Just like ANYTHING else.. If a light is out you check the bulbs! And like previous post says.. Your car is telling you there's a bulb out, or theses some disconnection.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
so i need an entirely new headlight assembly? that doesn't seem right since its just the low beams. Or are you saying both bulbs could have burnt out at the exact same time?
No. I highly
Doubt it's the entire unit. Check your
Bulbs. Is it xenon or halogen

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was referring to your bulbs not the headlight unit as a whole. Check you bulbs see if they look black (burnt) and check your connections as well.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same exact issue. I have checked all the fuses and replaced the bulbs and still have the issue. Thought at first that it had something to do with the fact my alternator needed to be replaced. But nope. Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
So randomly one day, the indicator just came on? Did both low beams showed being blown both at the same time?

If you had a multimeter perhaps you could test for power at the plugs

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes both sides at the same. Yeah I checked all of the fuses and all good. Now thats about as far as I know when it comes to the headlights. Do you where I can find a diagram for them or where and how to check the relay?

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Both sides? Same Time? Not a fuse issue? Check the relay.
BMW doesn't use relays to switch the headlights. They use high side driver chips located in the LSZ module. You may have a bad module. This module is the secondary location for the mileage so it should be replaced with a virgin (new) module and then properly coded to the car to avoid the tamper dot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok so I still haven't gotten any where with this problem. I don't have hid headlights. I just have halogens. The only thing I can find about " Lsz module " is in reference to HIDs.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Even if the lcm went bad, the chances that both simultaneously go out at the same time is low. Not saying it can't happen but it's like saying both tail lights went out or 2 or even ridiculously 4 oxygen sensors go bad and blaming it on the dme. Your aftermarket tail lights, did you use your old bulbs or used new ones?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
First thing is you must check wires to bulb to see if they have power.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im dealing with the same exact problem right now. both h7's went out within a day of each other. replaced both bulbs, and they still don't turn on. high beams, turns and drls still good. I just ordered a pa soft today. without a scanner, I think its the lcm. But im new to the BMW game, and need a little help. without headlights, shes becoming almost unusable, seeing how its dark before I get off work now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts