BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TWC Alumni
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this out over the weekend. I had to take out my SC to change my alternator (b1tch to do!) and when i reinstalled the chrome intake pipe, there are two medium sized hoses that connects to the bottom of this. Both of the hoses are coming from the two bypass valves. Since they both connect to the chrome piping within millimeters next to each other, i didn't think it made a difference which one connected to which since all it does is venting boost back into the intake track. I must have switched it from my original install because my car wouldn't make much of the BOV type noise anymore. The car ran the same but just alot quieter. After reviewing the ASA manual again i found out that i had switched the arrangement of the hoses so i switch them back. Took it out for a test drive and the BOV noise was back :) Sounds like a turbo again. Nice loud pshhhh after every shift :)

The bypass valve from the front of the engine should go in the first hole (closer to the headlights) and the second bypass valve near the throttle body should go to the second hole (closer to the shock tower). Even though they both route back into the same pipe and within millimeters of each other, how you connect these tubes has a dramatic affect on the way your ASA kits sound. You guys with quiet kits should verify if your installer connected these two tubes correctly. You could see it without removing the chrome pipe

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Damn, I wanted to check out the sound of your car. :drool:
Maybe That's why my car is quiet? :dunno: Can you post some pics? :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Glad you found the glitch, Alan! Now drive fun and safe! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hmm that's very interesting, mine are connected in the "quieter" configuration you described. My car makes a fairly loud sound when shifting at 5k+ rpms. But nothing near as loud as a BOV purge from turbo setups.

I'll try the switch when I get some time to test it out and compare.

Could you describe a little more on how loud it is, and at what rpms do you get a good audible noise when you shift? Or even better, some sounds bytes ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Solid said:
Could you describe a little more on how loud it is, and at what rpms do you get a good audible noise when you shift? Or even better, some sounds bytes ;)
Dood, just do a "psst" from your mouth when you shift. :lmao:

Just kidding.. :p

·
TWC Alumni
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Solid said:
Hmm that's very interesting, mine are connected in the "quieter" configuration you described. My car makes a fairly loud sound when shifting at 5k+ rpms. But nothing near as loud as a BOV purge from turbo setups.

I'll try the switch when I get some time to test it out and compare.

Def. switch them Solid. Not only does the car seem to have better throttle response and sound 10x better, its also the correct way to install the hoses according to the ASA manual.

I can clearly hear the pshhh sound even when i shift at 3K. Even at 2.5K when my windows are open. Under very light throttle from 2000rpm and up, you hear a loud hissing/shhhhhhhhhh sound cause both of the bypass valves are open and the instant you step on the pedal more, the sound stops until i either go light on the throttle again or when i shift. Let us know how it goes, switching the tubes takes 15mins.

Alan

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Yup, I was looking at the manual and saw that. It's still puzzling how it could make a sound difference that large.

I hear the hissing sound under light throttle loud and clear, but not the phhht sound when I shift at lower rpms.

I'll make sure to post here after the change.
Alan L. said:
Def. switch them Solid. Not only does the car seem to have better throttle response and sound 10x better, its also the correct way to install the hoses according to the ASA manual.

I can clearly hear the pshhh sound even when i shift at 3K. Even at 2.5K when my windows are open. Under very light throttle from 2000rpm and up, you hear a loud hissing/shhhhhhhhhh sound cause both of the bypass valves are open and the instant you step on the pedal more, the sound stops until i either go light on the throttle again or when i shift. Let us know how it goes, switching the tubes takes 15mins.

Alan

·
Registered
617 Posts
To be honest guys, mine is really not loud at all, unless I shift at redline.. and ASA installed it. Anyway I am very happy with the way it is running so going just let it be.

Alan, Very interesting thing you found however.

Durgesh

·
Registered
845 Posts
question

Any reason when i am in S mode (step) i dont get a BOV sound, not that i dont get it .. its not as loud??? but when i am in M mode (step) changing gears i get the BOV sound nice and loud.

is it because the S mode in step is not as aggressive than the M mode in step??

thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I switched the hoses, since that's what the ASA directions specify, but have not driven my car yet.

I'm in the middle of re-greesing my UUC sways (starting making noise after 1.5 years using teflon tape/lithium greese :bawling:), and I don't have allot of free time on my hands right now. I'll post here next week, when I get it back together and test it out.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Solid said:
I switched the hoses, since that's what the ASA directions specify, but have not driven my car yet.

I'm in the middle of re-greesing my UUC sways (starting making noise after 1.5 years using teflon tape/lithium greese :bawling:), and I don't have allot of free time on my hands right now. I'll post here next week, when I get it back together and test it out.
Cool. :thumbup: and can you take some pics while you are at it? :dunno:

·
TWC Alumni
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Strange.... :hmm:

Well atleast you have it installed according to the ASA manual now. I know for sure in my car the sound changed big time when all I did was switch those two tube around. To the point even my girlfriend noticed it right away so you know it had to be significant :) Are you using the metal elbow in one of the tubes as asa instructed? The only other difference that my car has 1) the updated Bosch 710N bypass valves and 2) I have cams. I don't think my cams would have any affect on this.

Also, check to make sure the bypass valves are installed correctly. I know the VW guys said that the valves work in reverse also but it changes the volume of the valve. I have mine installed according to the ASA manual. The front valve, the vacuum nipple should be pointing straight down to the ground and the upper bypass valve should have the nipple pointing towards the back of the engine bay towards the firewall. I verified with my boost gauge that I am making the correct boost and cel free so i'm confident my kit was installed 100% correct. When driving down the block, my friends could hear my car's bypass valves open and close and i'm not even revving pass 3K either. I gotta get a video clip somehow :) Unless my perception of loud is different compared to you guys. :dunno:

Also, the sound is similar to a turbo but its not as loud compared to true turbo cars with after market BOV's. Its loud enough where you clearly hear the pshhhh when you shift or rev to atleast 3K. Everytime i rev the engine just to hear the sound my gf tells me to stop it :lmao:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Could be that Dan is a little older and can't hear very well. :eeps: :lmao: J/k bro!

Actually, I had mine replaced a while back. No difference either. Then again, I believe I am a little older than you guys...and Walkman took the better part of my hearing during my younger days. :(

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Yea I used the metal elbow for the post intercooler valve. My valves are configured so that the boost side is hooked to the side of the valve and the outlet comes out the bottom of the valve (if you consider the vacuum line nipple the top). I'm hitting 6.8-7 psi @ redline like usual, so they seem to be working correctly.

The only time I remember it bieng loud is when I had a hole in my intercooler hose :dunno:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Alan L. said:
The only other difference that my car has 1) the updated Bosch 710N bypass valves
Alan, where'd you get these from? What's the difference between these and the ones that come with the ASA kit?

·
TWC Alumni
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GBX330ci said:
Alan, where'd you get these from? What's the difference between these and the ones that come with the ASA kit?
You could order it from any VW/Audi dealer. Just make sure the part number ends with 710N. I ordered mines from www.greedspeed.com. Look under the A4 1.8T engine mods. All i know is that my car is significantly louder than any asa car i've heard (bypass sound) and i'm boosting .5 to .6bar at redline.

FYI incase you didn't know, ASA requires two of these valves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts