E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was backing up about 10-15 yards into a parking space. Very suddenly I heard a loud sound (I don't really know how to describe the sound) when turning my wheels. When the engine is idling or running it also sounds a little funny...not normal. I've included a video of what it sounds like when turning my wheels at an idle. It doesn't make the sound when driving straight forward, but will still make the sound when moving and turning the wheel.

My first thought was the power steering pump, but I've had no symptoms of that before this and this was a very sudden happening. I also replaced my power steering pump and radiator return line (#11 on diagram) about 22k miles ago.

Of course this happened as I got to work today and I'm about 25 miles away from my house and auto shop...yay!! Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDtW8Ditto&tracker=False

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
pirate ship creaking...

it still remains a mystery to this day.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=775256&highlight=pirate+ship

Here are two videos of the dreaded e46 pirate ship creak issue that I have been having:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGeezEhZxB0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSbdXsKtfKY&feature=player_embedded

For my car it is not as loud as you see in those videos and I ONLY seem to hear it when driving and turning slow, or driving slowly over a speed bump or bumpy road (and it is an off and on thing that goes and come and doesn't always creak).

In my quest to find the source of my creaking I had my car looked at over the weekend by a professional at a local shop and everything checked out.(Control Arms, Bushings, Tie Rod, End Links, etc...) But my car still creaks.

So today I realized I forgot to mention the strut/shocks to the guy and decided to do my own inspection. here are pictures of the only discrepency that I saw. On my Passenger side the tower or tube body is covered by a thick caked layer of something. This caked layer is also all over everything else in the wheel arch cavity on that side.

Passenger's Side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlsFA3WEurM

Compared to Driver's Side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYM9wGn2O9g

The struts doesn't seem to be leaking or have any noise issues at all when I tested them.

What is that?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thread delmarco. Maybe it's because I'm inside the car, but do the sounds really sound the same? Mine makes the sound at the slighest of turns in either direction.

Also, I noticed you said it was likely to be louder during hot days...I'm in Seattle and it's been raining for about three days straight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also it makes the sound when I'm just holding the steering wheel in one direction...not turning it any further. To me it sounds more like a chewbaca.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't believe the OP's sound is the "pirate ship creaking"; his definitely sounds more like some sort of pump/motor rather than spring-like creaking. Also, the pirate ship creak directly corresponds to the movement of the steering, whereas OPs noise is just there when the wheel is turned.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
^
It's making those noises ONLY when the engine is on... yes?

It's not making noises if the motor is off and you are just turning the steering wheel, am I correct?

I say to check your power steering Pulley, have someone turn the wheel (engine on / idling) and see it there is vibration in the pulley itself (that's other than normal rotation.)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Today I was backing up about 10-15 yards into a parking space. Very suddenly I heard a loud sound (I don't really know how to describe the sound) when turning my wheels. When the engine is idling or running it also sounds a little funny...not normal. I've included a video of what it sounds like when turning my wheels at an idle. It doesn't make the sound when driving straight forward, but will still make the sound when moving and turning the wheel.

My first thought was the power steering pump, but I've had no symptoms of that before this and this was a very sudden happening. I also replaced my power steering pump and radiator return line (#11 on diagram) about 22k miles ago.

Of course this happened as I got to work today and I'm about 25 miles away from my house and auto shop...yay!! Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTDtW8Ditto&tracker=False

This is power steering pump. As the noise is not so bad you may get away with just changing oil in the power steering. You must use exactly "ATF Dexron II-D" D is very important. Buy 2 liters. You need fluid hand pump with hose. Open power steering fluid reservoir cap, drain all oil from it and fill in with new oil. Start the car, turn the wheel to left lock, then to right lock. Repeat 5 times. In each direction. Repeat oil change until all your new 2l are in. If sound will not disappear, change the power steering pump. Buy used with low miles. Drain all oil. and refill with new. Use only "ATF Dexron II-D".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just topped off my ATF fluid...had to add less than a half a liter. We haven't tried turning the steering wheel when the engine is off since the steering wheel locks up. We did notice that the power steering hose (the one coming from the resevoir) is vibrating, which is where the noise is coming from. At high speeds it doesn't make the sound (at least I couldn't hear it), but at low speeds it does. We couldn't figure out what would make the hose vibrate though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to let everyone know I drove it back home (about 30 minute drive) and the noise has stopped. We found a small leak in the power steering hose, so I'm going to replace that soon, but hopefully the noise won't come back. I'll let ya'll know if it does - I know you're so interested! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me about an hour ago, a google search lead me to here. I'm not getting the pirate ship creak but exactly what the frezze's first vid in this thread alludes to.

I hit this nasty speed bump by not angling as I was going over.....Just great...Will keep an eye out on what you find...arrgh

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
I just topped off my ATF fluid...had to add less than a half a liter. We haven't tried turning the steering wheel when the engine is off since the steering wheel locks up. We did notice that the power steering hose (the one coming from the resevoir) is vibrating, which is where the noise is coming from. At high speeds it doesn't make the sound (at least I couldn't hear it), but at low speeds it does. We couldn't figure out what would make the hose vibrate though. Any thoughts?
Half a liter is a lot. The entire reservoir holds just about 300 ml (I've measured...I'm like that)...so your reservoir was empty. Tsk!

Bleeding requires you to turn full stop both sides a few times...and since I don't believe in turning the wheel when I'm not moving, I just do lots of "S" turns to bleed out the air.

Erin, you have to check your fluids, especially one that doesn't signal you when it's low.

Your leak might just mean you need to tighten up a clamp. If needed, you can do what I did...cut off 1/2" of the hose where the old clamp was, push it up on the fitting and then clamp it.

Hopefully that's all it is. The reservoir itself can leak from the cap but the gasket for it is $2, and of course, any of the hoses can leak. Check around the rack too as there are a number of banjo bolt fittings and the like there too...but usually it's the hose under the reservoir and also those fittings next to the radiator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts