E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just yesterday, i was letting the car idle, when all of a sudden there’s this clanking clattering noise. I go over, try to see what’s up, turn off the car, etc. When i started the car next, the noise was gone. Since then, it’s become a nonstop noise that goes away depending on how high the RPM’s are. I’ve gotten suggestions ranging from debris in the cats (clogged catalytic converter) to belt tensioner, to the one i hate hearing the most, a bad timing chain.

The car is an ‘02 330i, and it’s an automatic, so i believe that rules out any clutch related issues but hey what do i know? Another thing to note is my power steering has been empty for a long while now, and while i doubt this is the issue, i’m willing to fill it back up to see if that will fix it. (leaking hose that i never bothered to fix, power steering lasts about a day or two before being empty again).

My oil levels are fine, everything like that. I don’t believe it’s valve related but i’ve had a quiet clicking in the past due to low oil. I’ll link a video in this, and it’s gotten louder since, so any help before it just decides to blow up would be greatly appreciated!

link to my ticking time bomb:

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,482 Posts
Pull your main serpentine belt and see if the noise is still there. (Dont run it more than 30 seconds, water pump is not turning) My guess is you may have killed your power steering pump from neglecting the fluid level.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.