BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellas,

So a couple months ago i managed to acquire a 04 320i m-sport with 63k km's on the clock.
Quickly after i got the car there has been a loud buzzing noise coming on at arround 2.2k rpm's. If i had to describe the noise in frequency i would say its like a bee but with a metallic/plastic tone.

Tried to describe it to 2 bmw mechanics but none had a real answer.
Ive scoured the forums for rattles/buzzes etc.. however none seemed to have the same problem. So im hoping maybe someone might have an idea of what to check. It would be greatly appreciated :)

Here are my observations so far:

- I know the car can resonate a lot however the sound feels like its coming from under the car right about under the gearbox (manual).

- No loss of power

- Consistently happens between 2.2k-2.4k rpm's.

- Buzz noise only when car is under load and its worse on hills or under hard acceleration. Under very mild acceleration on a straight or downhill i cant hear it.

- If im on a straight and i step on it the buzz appears exactly at 2.2k rpms and shimmers out at 2.4k therefore can last like 0.25sec. However if im on a hill and not stepping on it that hard it can last longer.

- Generally happens after the car is warm. However today i had a cold start at -5 degrees C and the buzz started coming on about 15secs into driving.

- Does not happen everytime i drive but lets say 80% of the time. Sometimes the buzz doesnt happen even under acceleration.

- Worst in 3rd gear when hovering arround 50km/h

- It a loud buzz and it kinda feel it resonating from front to back

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would check the exhaust and make sure all the hangers, fittings, clamps and nuts etc. are all there and tight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts