BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my keys and the dealer wants to charge me an outragous amount of money for a new one, they also told me i can only get a key from the dealer

any one know of a cheap alternative?:dunno:

·
OO[][]OO
525 Posts
how much can be the remote one ? :dunno:

PS:.... U sure you lost it or did not somebody took it ?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Its $130 for another remote key. Also if you lost it and think theres a chance someone will figureout its yours and steal the car you might want to get new locks.

·
SBBMotorwerks
534 Posts
I got a new key for $150. BMW is the only place to get a key. BMW keys are only cut in New Jersey in Germany.

·
Registered
512 Posts
WTF??? theres a New Jersey in Germany??? How come I ain't never heard of it and I lived there for 16 years.... that would've been something to see... I got to go to the BMW shaped building museum in Munich very nice :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
150 is not bad ... there's a dealership here wanted to charge me Cdn 500 (~USD 340) for it (dont remember the exact price ... just high !!!) Do you think I can request the US dealership to get me an extra key and send it to me by mail ??

·
SBBMotorwerks
534 Posts
thais0n said:
I got a new key for $150. BMW is the only place to get a key. BMW keys are only cut in New Jersey in Germany.
Ooops...New Jersey AND Germany :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sunapollo said:
150 is not bad ... there's a dealership here wanted to charge me Cdn 500 (~USD 340) for it (dont remember the exact price ... just high !!!) Do you think I can request the US dealership to get me an extra key and send it to me by mail ??
I think you have to show up in person at the dealership, with appropriate documentation, to prove that you own the car... Otherwise, I could pull a VIN off a nice M3 down the street, order a key, and be on my merry way...

·
SBBMotorwerks
534 Posts
You need your drivers license and registration.

Call a dealership in the US to see if they will let you fax this documentation to them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you can get a valet key for like $30 from the dealer. otherwise you have to pay $130 for the remote key. not much else you can do

·
.--. . -. .. ...
4,684 Posts
I hate how much they charge! :banghead:

My friend broke my plastic wallet key, and they wanted to charge me $45 for it. I said, no thanks. Went back 2 weeks later to pick up some reflectors to have painted, and they had lost the paperwork for the key and gave it to me for free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts