BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what happen:

As I was driving through a contruction area, I hit a patch of ice and I lost control. The car did a 540 and landed on the side of the road. While I tried to recover, I could not avoid going of the road. I was lucky enough that there were not side curbs or anything to hit near me.

After my trill ride was over, my car would not start. Normally, I can started with just .5 to 1 second of turning the key, but it even after 5 seconds or so, it would not start. 5 minutes later, still no luck starting the car. I waited another 5-7 minutes and it finally started.

To add to my demise, I was stucked. I finally got some help and got out of the hole I made with my tires.

Once out, I notice the car was not driving as usual and I had a Check Engine Light on plus the Spin Warning Light from the DSC was on, like when you turn the DSC off. I tested the DSC to see if the system was working, but my car just did not drive right. I did not push it. I just turned around and went home.

I am not sure why I would have mechanical problems, electronic or otherwise, if I did not hit anything. Can one of you shed some light on this matter?

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Did You Get Stuck In The Mud With The Dsc On? Thats What Happended To Me When I Decided To Go Off Roading With My Car The Dcs Light Was On For Like 2 Days After But Then It Went Away And Everything Is Ok Now But If Your Car Doesnt Drive Right Then I Have No Idea :idea:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just a guess but may have damaged a wheel sensor

Just a guess but may have damaged a wheel sensor. During your off roading you may have caught one of the wires going to a wheel speed sensor which would mess up the entire DSC system. There are other parts to DSC but the wheel sensor is what is likely ot be damage by what happened.

If the engine runs OK when in neutral (not moving), having trouble starting it is likely not a problem (sounds like it got flooded, or fuel starved from the angle). If the check engine light does not clear in a few days (think it takes 3 drive cycles), then get it checked out.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did the car stall. I guess it did since you had to restart it. I'm sure that whatever caused it to stall had the engine outside of normal parameters->check engine light.

·
Registered
20,110 Posts
This happened to me a while back. After I went to autozone and got a code reader, it turned out my Crank Position sensor went bad.
The same thing happened. I spun, the car shut down, took a while to re-start, idle is ok, but driving was bogged down.
Had the Crank Position Sensor replaces and had no problem after that.

Go get the code checked and if you have the same thing, please let me know as I bought a Crank Sensor and then warranty covered it so I have an extra one I would like to sell.

Thanks!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I waited and drove the car later and it was fine. The Check Engine Light was still on but after 2 or 3 drives from home to work it went away. The car is driving really good.

Again, thanks.
Mike.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I ran into same issue last winter. I did God know how many 360's on the highway but never hit anything. I managed to stay on the road.

My car shut off during the whole 'process'. I went to start it up and it just kept cranking. After good 10 secs it started up. Check engine and ASC lights were on. Car had barely any power. I limped to home and shut her off. After couple hours, power was back, ASC light was not on anymore. I still had check engine light. Next day, check engine light went away also.

What probably happend is that 360's confused the living sh1t out of the car computer and that's why it lit up DSC and CEL. Give it a day and it should go away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was at a track day yesterday and had this happen to me. I spun out, did a 720 and even though I had the clutch in the car stalled. When I tried to start it the SES, DSC, and brake light were all yellow and it took a good 5 seconds of cranking to get her started.

I tried disconnecting the battery for about 45 minutes, but no love. I was able to make it home, but all the lights stayed on and the car was in limp home mode (felt like about 50bhp). No change this morning so I took her into the shop and they said it is the crank position sensor.

Fortunately this part only costs about $60, but I missed pretty much the whole track day due to this sensor failing. I was pretty bummed.

Now I'm thinking that I spun because the sensor failed mid-corner and I lost power. I can't imagine that spinning would cause this sensor to fail permanently. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the knows you've had a spill it will detect it as a minor crash, concequently it will shut off the engine for you, put on the interior lights, and activate the hazards.

In more serious spills it may fire the airbags/seatbelt tensioners/battery disconnect cable.

The crash procedure may screw up the DSC due to things like mis-calibration etc, and it will take the software a while to be happy it knows what its doing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Took a spin over the summer and had the EXACT same thing happen to me. All the dummy lights went away after a day and the car's been perfect since (except for the slightly goofy alignment I have now)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, at first I thought that my car's electronics were confused after the spin and thought I had crashed or something. However, I've spun out at the track before and never had a problem like this. Plus, the lights were still on the next day after numerous re-starts and driving about 60 miles to get back home.

The only thing I can think of is that the sensor failed while I was driving and the sudden loss of power to the rear wheels made me spin. This seems pretty unlikely, but I just can't imagine that spinning out could actually cause the sensor to permanently fail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts