BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I need some help. So, I started noticing that whenever I accelerate the car in drive, it began having like a “fuller” engine note and would shake around 1,200rpm through almost 3,000rpm. While shaking, the car would accelerate poorly in comparison to how it was before. I had just replaced the MAF sensor which I thought it was, but apparently not. I could try and record a video soon. I drive a ‘98 328i

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. Your car has 2 connectors for scanning the various modules in the car. The round, 20 pin connector under the hood is used to scan all modules except the dme. There’s a regular obd2 connector under the dash on the drivers side that’s used to scan the DME. The cover for the 20 pin connector under the hood must be in place to use the obd2 connector.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. Your car has 2 connectors for scanning the various modules in the car. The round, 20 pin connector under the hood is used to scan all modules except the dme. There’s a regular obd2 connector under the dash on the drivers side that’s used to scan the DME. The cover for the 20 pin connector under the hood must be in place to use the obd2 connector.
I have the Fixd OBD2 scanner and I’ve used it in my other cars too. What’s odd is that when I try scanning for codes in the BMW, it shows “no problems” even tho the engine light is on, and the air bag light. When I scanned a Ford Taurus, the codes pop up as they should. Anything I can do about that?

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
681 Posts
There are many OBD2 languages used by the different car makers. Is your scanner connecting properly? If could be that your one does not speak the BMW language.

With both of those light on, there will be trouble codes stored in the engine computer (DME) and the air bag module. Maybe its time to upgrade your scanner.

OBD Fusion smart phone app and EML327 dongle is a good scanner for engine work OBD Fusion

If you have a windows laptop or Surface Pro, then BMW Standard Tools is a cheap way to get set up to talk to all computers in your car. How to Install BMW Standard Tools

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are many OBD2 languages used by the different car makers. Is your scanner connecting properly? If could be that your one does not speak the BMW language.

With both of those light on, there will be trouble codes stored in the engine computer (DME) and the air bag module. Maybe its time to upgrade your scanner.

OBD Fusion smart phone app and EML327 dongle is a good scanner for engine work OBD Fusion

If you have a windows laptop or Surface Pro, then BMW Standard Tools is a cheap way to get set up to talk to all computers in your car. How to Install BMW Standard Tools
I’ve already used it on the BMW before though, and it worked fine. I just don’t know why it’s not anymore. It works bcs it gives me the live gauges option, but when I try and “scan” for codes, it shows “no errors” or sum. But basically that there is nothing wrong. And it’s brand new.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,594 Posts
Hope you figure out how to get codes.

From your description, I'm 'guessing' a common air leak somewhere (smoke test) or that you've lost a cylinder or two--the fuller engine note you mentioned. If it's a raspiness when accelerating, I think that's a lost cylinder--maybe plug, but probably coil. Once you can read codes, you could swap coils around to see if problem follows it or not.

...and have your car up to snuff with all your maintenance--fuel filter/air filter/ etc.

Run Techron
Use gummi pflege. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts