BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I'm curious if anyone experience similar situation as me and if they found the culprit?

I lost at least 1l of oil from driving on rough road. Basically the dipstick went from max to min after the drive and I could see the stain around the oil cap and intake manifold. I monitored the problem when it first occured, because I was afraid my car was burning or leaking oil. However, after a week of driving and one track day. There is no sign of burning/losing oil. This weekend I drove on that rough road again and oil light came up and I check the dipstick, looks like I lost half a litre of oil.

Is the rough road making oil splashing out of the engine? I know it sounds dumb, but I couldn't think of any other explanation. My car is on coilover so it really does bounce hard on rough road.

Here is the photo of the oil stain.

Thanks

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is there any "trajectory" that you can see toward that stain? Like other components having oil from the oil filler cap toward that stain? Maybe the filler cap is loose and not sealing well? That looks like a very small stain to capture 1 quart though.

How did you confirm that the car is not burning oil? Have you run a dry vs wet compression test? How does the coolant look?

You can definitely tell there are no leaks - cpv, rear main, oil pan gasket, chain tensioner, sump pickup on bottom of oil pan, dipstick oring on oil pan, oil filter housing gasket, front main seal, vanos gasket, cam sensor orings, vcg, etc? If you pull the underbelly pan you can maybe see some oil drips?

Pcv system old? If you remove the intake elbow, do you see a tonne of oil on intake runners and at the bottom of the intake?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Get it up on a competent shop's lift and find the problem. Internet guessing is going to lead to a poor outcome at that rate of loss.

I'd be very careful driving that car until the problem is identified and solved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any "trajectory" that you can see toward that stain? Like other components having oil from the oil filler cap toward that stain? Maybe the filler cap is loose and not sealing well? That looks like a very small stain to capture 1 quart though.

How did you confirm that the car is not burning oil? Have you run a dry vs wet compression test? How does the coolant look?

You can definitely tell there are no leaks - cpv, rear main, oil pan gasket, chain tensioner, sump pickup on bottom of oil pan, dipstick oring on oil pan, oil filter housing gasket, front main seal, vanos gasket, cam sensor orings, vcg, etc? If you pull the underbelly pan you can maybe see some oil drips?

Pcv system old? If you remove the intake elbow, do you see a tonne of oil on intake runners and at the bottom of the intake?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Judging from the stains I'm sure the oil is coming out from the oil cap area. However, I couldn't figure out how the oil gets on the intake manifold.

And thank you for pointing out the areas to look at. I will be removing the intake elbow and inspect area first.

I have not done any compression test because I don't lose oil constantly or seeing any sign of oil and coolant mixing. I did an oil change after the first oil lost, there is also no sign of oil and coolant mixing. I do monitor the oil level almost everyday after the first oil lost and it doesn't seem to be losing and oil for one whole week + a track day. However, I took the car to that particular road again and oil light comes up. I believe oil is leaking externally rather than mixing with coolant. If the symptom get worse, I'll probably do a compression test for the peace of mind.

Once again, thank you for pointing out the potential areas to inspect. I am new to the s54 platform, so your suggestion really help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get it up on a competent shop's lift and find the problem. Internet guessing is going to lead to a poor outcome at that rate of loss.

I'd be very careful driving that car until the problem is identified and solved.
I will definitely do that if I couldn't figure out the problem myself. Mrgizmo04 has pointed some areas to look at which really helps.

I am also not constantly losing oil, it only happens when I drove to that particular road. I know this because I do monitor the oil level after driving the car.

I also carry extra oil in the car all the time, so I fill up when the level is low. Can I still drive the car normally? Or should I just avoid driving it until knowing the actual problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts