E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if the issue of lose steering is still a problem? I just bought a 2003 330ci with sports package. Euro model

I was driving previously a BMW 528I with sports Package. I have had the 330ci for about a week. I feel that the steering is really lose as compared to my 528 at speeds over 100KM /60MPH

Has anyone had the same problem? Is BMW still retro fitting the steering for customer with lose steering on the 2003 330ci model?

Also, my car went back to the shop to repair rattles. Dealer found that there was some issues with the rear window brake light assembly and the rear side window fittings as well. The dealer also had to replace the RPM meter as well as he said this was making unusual loud ticking sound.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue let me know.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
No, a 2003 will not be under the recall for the light steering. It is an issue of previous years

·
TiAg 330i
544 Posts
daz said:
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if the issue of lose steering is still a problem? I just bought a 2003 330ci with sports package. Euro model

I was driving previously a BMW 528I with sports Package. I have had the 330ci for about a week. I feel that the steering is really lose as compared to my 528 at speeds over 100KM /60MPH

Has anyone had the same problem? Is BMW still retro fitting the steering for customer with lose steering on the 2003 330ci model?

Also, my car went back to the shop to repair rattles. Dealer found that there was some issues with the rear window brake light assembly and the rear side window fittings as well. The dealer also had to replace the RPM meter as well as he said this was making unusual loud ticking sound.

If anyone is experiencing the same issue let me know.
Japanese dealers have excellent service. When I brought my car in for rattles, I had a mechanic to drive with me so he can hear them. He heard the rattles, but eventually never bother to fix them. I am stuck with these annoying sounds. :ben:

·
BMW Land Barge
1,360 Posts
You've never driven a 2001, have you?

In my experience, the E36 M3 and the E39 528 probably had the best steering BMW ever had. It's quite possible that it will never approach that level again.

If you feel a huge dead spot in the center, you might consider getting the car re-aligned. Setting zero toe up front will dramatically improve handling, and nearly eliminates the dead spot.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Lose Steering

ak330i said:

Japanese dealers have excellent service. When I brought my car in for rattles, I had a mechanic to drive with me so he can hear them. He heard the rattles, but eventually never bother to fix them. I am stuck with these annoying sounds. :ben:
You are right! Japanese Dealers treat there customers like kings. I mean this is my third BMW from the same dealer. They will fix almost anything for free to keep me happy. I remember one time someone scratch my right side molding on my 528. I took it to them and the replaced it for free and wrote it up as a defect so I was not charged..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just wondering if the steering parts for the E36 M3 would fit on my e46 330ci. I guess the only way to improve my steering issue is to install sway bars front and rear!

Does any one have any recommendations? Are the stock sway bars that come with the 330ci 2003 I bought I take it the are not that good as compared to after market sway bars?

I am new to this whole car mod thing sorry for being ignorant! :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Anti-sway bars keep the car more level (flatter) in cornering. This won't really help with your steering feeling light though it's still a great mod. UUC sways are considered some of the best and will greatly improve your handling over stock. Now i just need Rob to release them for the xi :sad:

Here's the link:
www.uucmotorworks.com

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I prefer BMW's . There is a strange law in Japan. Non-Japanese made cars are allowed to go as fast as 250KM's beyond that not allowed. Japanese cars are restricted by law to to go no faster than 180Km.

I do not know why this is so but it is the case. At one time if you had a Japanese car in Japan and you drove faster than 120KM/60mph it was LAW that at those speeds. There be a chime sound that was constant to warm the driver that he was going faster than. 120KM..

Also, here in Japan mod shops tend to be compliant to the laws so some modification our no allowed and the police do check..

That's one of the reasons I prefer BMW's

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
My 03 325ci has much looser steering than my parents 02 330i. In a way its better because I have a stick and theirs is soo hard to turn you really need to use 2 hands sometimes.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keeferno said:
Anti-sway bars keep the car more level (flatter) in cornering. This won't really help with your steering feeling light though it's still a great mod. UUC sways are considered some of the best and will greatly improve your handling over stock. Now i just need Rob to release them for the xi :sad:

Here's the link:
www.uucmotorworks.com
Question: my BMW 2003 330CI has OEM Sway bars! How do these compare to UCC Sway Bars...

Is there a big difference? They look the same to me!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts