BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just purchased a 04 325xi, just today the car started making a loud grinding noise like If it was coming from the trans, once I jacked it up I noticed the shaft was loose, now I don’t know what the part is called to fix it, if anyone can help me out I’d appreciate it, it’s the front shaft that goes to the trans, it’s the part with the silver ring that it’s loose from, not the u joint

·
Registered
2005 e46 330xi 6spd
127 Posts
I think the white/silver plate is number 4 here. Its a dust seal. My guess is the drive flange nut loosened, or something inside the diff is trashed so the driveshaft doesn't make a solid connection to the diff components . You probably need to remove the front driveshaft to get a better idea of what is going on (the four etorx screws in your picture).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Orlin,

You say your shaft is loose. Then you say the silver thing (dust seal) is loose. None of us is there to know what is "loose" and agree or disagree. But I do know with certainty that if your shaft is loose, a new dust seal will not fix it. You should find a friend who has some mechanical knowledge to take a look at what is loose and then provide us with more accurate input so you are not spending money or time on guesses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply’s everyone, I decided to change the front diff and now back up and running, my old diff blew due to low differential fluid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts