E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i currently drive a 05 G35 Coupe 6MT, but im looking to get a 2002-2004 M3. my concern is how much preventive maintenance should be done after 100k? also is there anything i should be looking for in a 02-04 M3, any major problems with the SMG system? id prefer to get a 6MT but there is none in my price range.
any input would be greatly appreciated!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
OP, to be honest look for something with a bit less mileage than 100k.

Some will come in and say 100k is fine once all maint. has been done. But 100k is 100k, no matter which way you cut it.
Save your money, and get something with decent mileage.

SMG has it's problems, look around. Hummell, you should really lay off, seriously. Just because yours failed doesn't mean everyone's else will.

Nice of you to mention the thread of SMG troubleshooting over on m3f. Why not mention the high mileage SMG thread here?

·
Registered
151 Posts
OP, to be honest look for something with a bit less mileage than 100k.

Some will come in and say 100k is fine once all maint. has been done. But 100k is 100k, no matter which way you cut it.
Save your money, and get something with decent mileage.

SMG has it's problems, look around. Hummell, you should really lay off, seriously. Just because yours failed doesn't mean everyone's else will.

Nice of you to mention the thread of SMG troubleshooting over on m3f. Why not mention the high mileage SMG thread here?
On the front page of this forum alone, there are 4 threads with OP's stating SMG problems. Over on m3forum, there are an additional 4 separate issue threads on that front page asking for help with their SMG issues.

Maybe you're right. I'll lay off...hopefully people will just look and see the obvious.

·
Registered
0 Posts
nothing inherently wrong with SMG, just something else that can break...and sometimes expensively. if i was going to buy in at higher mileage, i'd want to eliminate as many variables as possible...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
On the front page of this forum alone, there are 4 threads with OP's stating SMG problems. Over on m3forum, there are an additional 4 separate issue threads on that front page asking for help with their SMG issues.

Maybe you're right. I'll lay off...hopefully people will just look and see the obvious.
Don't forget, most people don't have to start threads about 6mt problems because everyone knows how to fix a manual transmission. The SMG is unique to BMW, is part electronic, throws codes, and has parts that aren't normally found in a 6mt. It naturally lends itself to more questions when something fails, unlike a 6mt.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Don't forget, most people don't have to start threads about 6mt problems because everyone knows how to fix a manual transmission. The SMG is unique to BMW, is part electronic, throws codes, and has parts that aren't normally found in a 6mt. It naturally lends itself to more questions when something fails, unlike a 6mt.
The 6MTs in these vehicles (and the 6MT of the SMG tranny...which is the same unit) are not repairable without great, great effort (i.e. sourcing the internal parts without any help from BMW). Find a used one.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Wait until there is one. Man, you don't want an SMG unless you want a headache. There is a sticky thread on m3forum.net that is dedicated solely to SMG troubleshooting. It has 50,000 views.
Yes, some SMGs have problems, but that is because it is so high-tech and specialized. You're saying that since it can break, don't buy one. You could say that about an M3 v. a Civic, or a F430 v. civic. SMG is cool for certain things, a pain for others. But, if you want something that does shifts (both up and down) measured in miliseconds, then there are chances for problems and its a risk you take. If you want reliable transportation, an M3 is not the car, nor does it claim to be.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes, some SMGs have problems, but that is because it is so high-tech and specialized. You're saying that since it can break, don't buy one. You could say that about an M3 v. a Civic, or a F430 v. civic. SMG is cool for certain things, a pain for others. But, if you want something that does shifts (both up and down) measured in miliseconds, then there are chances for problems and its a risk you take. If you want reliable transportation, an M3 is not the car, nor does it claim to be.
to some people like myself, the headache of having problems with the SMG or having it go bad completely is not worth the money to fix (can be up to $6k in some cases). I'd rather buy the manual and not have to worry about something that expensive breaking, and use the potential money for maintenance that is inevitable like inspections and so on.

·
Registered
621 Posts

It cracks me up how much you hate SMGs... but I already know the story and I would too. You and I share the same lines of though when it comes to SMG, but you have personal experience with it and I don't (thankfully). It cracks me up even more when an SMG owner gets all fired up when someone else points out the obvious to them. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just pointing out what any observant person will infer from looking at this forum and m3f. Now watch what happens...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It cracks me up how much you hate SMGs... but I already know the story and I would too. You and I share the same lines of though when it comes to SMG, but you have personal experience with it and I don't (thankfully). It cracks me up even more when an SMG owner gets all fired up when someone else points out the obvious to them. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just pointing out what any observant person will infer from looking at this forum and m3f. Now watch what happens...

Well, here I'am. This is what you wanted, right?

SMG isn't flawless, we know this. But you guys are acting like EVERY SINGLE SMG pump has failed on everything. But I'm sure you and Hummell can back this up with info, right?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was sort of thinking of a specific person, and it isn't you. Someone should actually collect some sort of data to either prove/disprove this debate, I would be interested in seeing the results. I think two things should be compared, mechanical failures of the SMG vs. 6MT, and cost of repairs for the SMG vs 6MT. I don't think that there are more SMG failure threads merely because it's harder to repair than a 6MT, although that may account for quite a few of the posts. There are high mileage SMG and 6MT "check-in" threads on this board:

<a href="http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694047">SMG</a> (this is the one you mentioned)

<a href="http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=767547">6MT</a> EDIT: I made one, wonder how it will go over.

Tried to find the same thread for 6MT, couldn't. Hopefully someone else knows where it went. Even if the SMG was as reliable, I chose the 6MT solely because of repair costs. Not trying to start an argument here, just observing once more how defensive some SMG owners are. If I had an SMG I'd be like that too I'm sure, because of my personality. On the bright side, when our cars become antiques, I bet SMGs will be worth more, anyways.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I was sort of thinking of a specific person, and it isn't you. Someone should actually collect some sort of data to either prove/disprove this debate, I would be interested in seeing the results. I think two things should be compared, mechanical failures of the SMG vs. 6MT, and cost of repairs for the SMG vs 6MT. I don't think that there are more SMG failure threads merely because it's harder to repair than a 6MT, although that may account for quite a few of the posts. There are high mileage SMG and 6MT "check-in" threads on this board:

<a href="http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694047">SMG</a> (this is the one you mentioned)

<a href="http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=767547">6MT</a> EDIT: I made one, wonder how it will go over.

Tried to find the same thread for 6MT, couldn't. Hopefully someone else knows where it went. Even if the SMG was as reliable, I chose the 6MT solely because of repair costs. Not trying to start an argument here, just observing once more how defensive some SMG owners are. If I had an SMG I'd be like that too I'm sure, because of my personality. On the bright side, when our cars become antiques, I bet SMGs will be worth more, anyways.

We all know the 6MT is probably more reliable.
We all know the 6MT is less expensive to repair, due to less parts.

There is no need to compare anything, SMG owners such as myself and many others know the risks. Some obviously don't. And that's too bad their just ill informed.
I admit, I'am very conscious of what COULD happen while simply going to the grocery store....
Or hopping in the car one day and not being able to engage N to start.
But it's something I took the risk of buying 3 months ago.

I'm not trying to be one of those "defensive" SMG owners as you call them, but like I said before, not every SMG has failed. That is all.

Oh, and are you targeting the member "roobe" or something?
I'm getting that vibe.

·
Registered
621 Posts
No, not Roobe. Doesn't matter who it was, I don't think "targeting" is even the right word, sorry if it came out that way. I had someone in mind when I said that, but I'm not trying to call them out or anything, or else I would have mentioned them by name. I can see that you're not one of those SMG owners, and you mention all of the reasons why I chose a 6MT. You can live with those things, and I can't. But, I really would love to try an SMG out sometime, or the new DCT.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.