E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an E46 M3. AutoTrader has a bunch for cheap, but they're mostly 80,000 miles +! Could I have some information in how these things run with a lot of miles? Thanks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
They can be a's good as there maintained. A top notch maintained 100k mile m3 will run better than a 40k M3 that was abused. Miles don't matter, how the car was treated does.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with above. some cars with low miles sit for a long time. seals dry up etc. when started after a long time there can be leaks and all sorts of problems.

For example look at fleet or taxi/limo vehicles. The ones i know of see lincolns going 1-2 million kilometres in only 4 years without issue. maintenance is key as they are run 24/7 almost and oil changes every week on average.

my point really is that i would take a slightly higher mileage m with records over one that has no maintenance records any day:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a 05 vert 6mt in March with 35,000 miles and it was a single owner car, clean car fax and cpo. I find I have to clean the MAF often. That's about it. I put almost 5,000 miles on it so far. Tons of fun to drive. I'm very glad I bought one. VANOS issues worry the f&&^%$ out of me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see. I know this sounds like stupid question, (I'm new to all BMW's) but, some of the Autotrader's lists the M3 as "Automatic". Doesn't the M3 only come in SMG and Manual? Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Ppi.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also depends on the definition of abused. A tracked car that is properly maintained is better than a daily driven car that isn't. Maintenance is key.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts