BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330i
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade the head unit in my 330i as I would love to have apple car play. Has anyone done this to their e46, and if so was there any compatibility issues going from the single DIN receiver box to the full touchscreen, or was the installation straightforward?

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,976 Posts
I am looking to upgrade the head unit in my 330i as I would love to have apple car play. Has anyone done this to their e46, and if so was there any compatibility issues going from the single DIN receiver box to the full touchscreen, or was the installation straightforward?
There are numerous threads in the electronics section.

I've got a Dynavin N6, it doesn't have CarPlay (the N7 does IIRC) but I'm not an Apple guy so wouldn't use it anyway.

It is perfectly compatible and installation was easy (except for running a cable for reverse camera in my touring) and works well enough, but it isn't as refined as the rest of the car so can be a little frustrating at times.

·
Registered
2004 325ci
10 Posts
the avin avant or dynavin are the only that aren’t chinese garbage. Avant is best overall imo- and you can get CarPlay for it

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,976 Posts
I dislike that Avin just dropped any support for the older units out there and the GPS antenna is now useless on the Avant 2 for instance. Because of this If I were to buy today it would be the Dynavin N7.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Are you looking to retain the factory look? If you are the only real quality solution is Dynavin from Jeff at Dynavin USA.
If you aren’t interesting in retaining the factory look at brands such as Alpine and Sony. Be advised that some double DIN (DIN: German industrial standard) head units require the modification of the air duct behind the head unit. I’d avoid these head units. A good indication that a double DIN head unit does not require mod’ing the air duct is that it does not have a CD player. But check the depth specs as there isn’t a lot of room behind the head unit. I’d search www.crutchfield.com to see what fits.

You’ll need to relocate the automatic climate control module (IHKA in BMWspeak) to accommodate the head unit. There are 2 different IHKA relation brackets. Make sure you buy the correct one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts