BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Stick with the 135s. 19s are just too big, IMO, plus the ride factor. And note that your style 67 pic is a touring wearing the full M3 body treatment, including the rear arches, which helps pull them off better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Got it, you’re siding with my practical half.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I've had 19x8.5 and 19x9.5, they came on my 2001 when I bought it. Tires were expensive, road like crap, the wheels barely fit under the arches on a stock base model suspension. Never again. Practicality can still look good. I actually have two sets of 17s for mine, now. Perhaps I'm just getting old. Lol!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I've had 19x8.5 and 19x9.5, they came on my 2001 when I bought it. Tires were expensive, road like crap, the wheels barely fit under the arches on a stock base model suspension. Never again. Practicality can still look good. I actually have two sets of 17s for mine, now. Perhaps I'm just getting old. Lol!

agreed. Here’s my vert on 18s which suit me well.

Reactions: McPikie

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Looking great! My touring interior is nearly identical.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Thx! Still a work in progress.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
So installing the 330 brakes has to be sequenced with the new wheels. If you didn’t know, 330 calipers require a minimum of 17in wheels to get proper clearance. Well the new wheels are in the garage waiting on tires so got to work again on the brakes. Showed you already the cleaning up of the front calipers.

Well here’s the finished product. Some of you may not appreciate the color, but I like it. Looks good with the orient blue body color. If you’re looking to rebuild your brakes at some point, BMW makes a rebuild kit consisting of the cylinder seal and boot. Here’s the messed up part - it’s $53 per set and you need a set per caliper. Fortunately after much research, I found that centric makes a kit as well and only costs $7 per kit. I’ve used centric brake parts for over a decade and have never had an issue so I’m confident the rebuild kit will hold up well.

So after the thorough cleaning and degrease, adhesion promoter was followed by two layers of hi temp primer, followed by 3 layers of hi temp paint, followed by application of the decals and then all sealed under 3 layers of hi temp clear.

I think the juice was worth the squeeze and I’m excited to mount them once the wheels are ready. Going to get to work on the rear calipers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Stoked to see those mounted up. Very much a "hybrid Porsche" look.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Update... finally found some OEM wheels locally that I liked, were in reasonably good shape and at the right price. Tires mounted and balanced so they are ready to go on. Enter Isaias which is about 80 miles due east and bringing lots of wind and rain. Have to wait for the storm to pass so I can get outside and to work.

I also finished up the 330 brakes, knocking out the rear calipers and carriers. Very happy how they came out and it went easier then the fronts since I figured out what to do.

Let’s hope Isaias heads out to sea, the sun comes out tomorrow and the wrenching begins.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Oh, and I found and hour to hit up one of my local LKQs and picked up another M3 steering wheel. There’s some wear in the leather that I’ll address but I’ll be covering it anyway. Best thing, cost me $15 with a military discount. Winning.

Bottom trim was very worn so I removed it, sanded, primed and painted silver since I had the paint in the garage.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The goal today was to get all four 330 calipers on with new rotors and pads and a good bedding. Alas, didn’t quite get there. In between work emails and calls, I was able to get the fronts on without issue - 50s Kid on YouTube is awesome. So with the 330 calipers, I needed then to mount the new wheels and tires.

I think they look AWESOME! I wanted to stay oem on the touring and my tire selection added a little more sidewall for a better ride.

Bedding routine went without issue and to be entirely honest, I could feel the difference in braking. Not sure if it was the greater contact area, new rotors or bite of the pad, but the braking feels much more confident.

Here are a few pics of the calipers mounted. Thought it was funny that the brake wear sensor cable matches the color of the caliper.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
We need pics of those bright calipers peeking through the new rollers!

I hear you. Just need to give the old girl a wash before she shoes off her new-to-her shoes.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
So snuck in a quick wash for the old girl and voila. I like the contrast of the calipers to the orient blue and who doesn’t like a 5 spoke wheel on an e46?

Still on the search for a good deal on eibach springs but I have a line on an orient blue mtech I kit locally so fingers crossed that happens soon.

So many more mods but she’s coming along slowly but surely.

Reactions: yjsaabman

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Finished wrapping the M3 wheel I pulled from an e39 at a local lkq. Have to say that my stitching and technique is getting much better. This last wrap is by far my best with a consistent stitch. Might replace the wheel already in the touring with this one and figure out something to do with the other.

Here’s before and after.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
More progress on the two-tone interior. After watching some YouTube vids, went to my local LKQ and pulled the front and rear door sills and lower B pillar from a wrecked 330 sedan. Direct swap with the touring interior pieces and voila. Still need to refinish the center console in black but the interior is getting there.

Reactions: ///Mark_D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Interior looks great, that's such a good color combo. I dig the wheels too. I have a different set of 5 spokes that are next in line for install.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Interior looks great, that's such a good color combo. I dig the wheels too. I have a different set of 5 spokes that are next in line for install.
appreciate it and I like it too.

would love to see pics once you get the wheels on. I think 5 spokes are a classic look for an e46.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So I finally found some powered sport seats that were in reasonably good shape and luckily local to me. Picked them up along with a rear bench seat for $150 which I thought was a good deal. Going to use some of Labor Day to get them cleaned up and in the wagon. Will be sure to take some after pics once finished.

Here are both the seats. They were taken in different light in case you were wondering and are not the same seat.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
So I pulled a ton of dirt and other crap off the seats. In doing so, it revealed some staining on the passenger seat. Need to figure out how to address that. Hoping some additional leather cleaner / conditioner / heat will help pull it out. Suggestions?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts