BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've owned six E46s over the last 20 yrs (323i, 330i ZSP, 330ci ZHP, M3) but never a touring. With all the craziness in the world as of late and with more time on my hands than usual, I decided, with encouragement from the wife, to find a touring which she would be the primary driver. Surprisingly after a short search, we found our touring - 2003 325xiT Orient Blue on Sand, premium and cold weather package, with 127K miles. I drove her 660miles home from Atlanta to Miami without a hitch - solid driver getting 32mpg. She has had loads of recent maintenance to include the typical E46 problem areas - cooling system, DISA, oil seals, etc... - and honestly is in pretty darn good shape.

I did find some things that need to be addressed

1) keyless entry isn't working - maybe FOB batteries?
2) windshield wiper fluid won't dispense - previous owner gave me a new pump
3) rear hatch interior trim is missing - $120 and $150 a piece to replace so looking for a part out or junk yard source
4) b pillar drooping material

And I have a bunch of mods to take care of which I can knock out myself (in no particular order):

1) chrome delete
2) paint correction and ceramic coat
3) two-tone interior
4) sport seats
5) M3 steering wheel
6) 330 brake swap
7) gauge rings
8) M-Tech I or II
9) 18" wheels
10) mild drop - maybe eibachs
11) interior trim wrap
12) in the future I'd live to do a M54B30 swap but will need help with that one

So I've never done a build thread but thought it might be fun to document all the work on the touring. Cheers.

This is she....

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
So I've owned six E46s over the last 20 yrs (323i, 330i ZSP, 330ci ZHP, M3) but never a touring. With all the craziness in the world as of late and with more time on my hands than usual, I decided, with encouragement from the wife, to find a touring which she would be the primary driver. Surprisingly after a short search, we found our touring - 2003 325xiT Orient Blue on Sand, premium and cold weather package, with 127K miles. I drove her 660miles home from Atlanta to Miami without a hitch - solid driver getting 32mpg. She has had loads of recent maintenance to include the typical E46 problem areas - cooling system, DISA, oil seals, etc... - and honestly is in pretty darn good shape.

I did find some things that need to be addressed

1) keyless entry isn't working - maybe FOB batteries?
2) windshield wiper fluid won't dispense - previous owner gave me a new pump
3) rear hatch interior trim is missing - $120 and $150 a piece to replace so looking for a part out or junk yard source
4) b pillar drooping material

And I have a bunch of mods to take care of which I can knock out myself (in no particular order):

1) chrome delete
2) paint correction and ceramic coat
3) two-tone interior
4) sport seats
5) M3 steering wheel
6) 330 brake swap
7) gauge rings
8) M-Tech I or II
9) 18" wheels
10) mild drop - maybe eibachs
11) interior trim wrap
12) in the future I'd live to do a M54B30 swap but will need help with that one

So I've never done a build thread but thought it might be fun to document all the work on the touring. Cheers.

This is she....

Welcome to the touring family!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 323iT - Orientblau Metallic
199 Posts
You have fallen into a deep pit ;)
I second this. :ROFLMAO:

Looks clean! However at that mileage, your struts are blown, or basically almost blown, would be better replacing your struts/springs. At 123k mine were "very" blown. KONI Yellows are a great option, w/ EIBACH Pro is a great option, the ride quality is beyond surprising, and the response is astonishing! Does a great drop too!

Welcome to the Touring Family, Enjoy it!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I second this. :ROFLMAO:

Looks clean! However at that mileage, your struts are blown, or basically almost blown, would be better replacing your struts/springs. At 123k mine were "very" blown. KONI Yellows are a great option, w/ EIBACH Pro is a great option, the ride quality is beyond surprising, and the response is astonishing! Does a great drop too!

Welcome to the Touring Family, Enjoy it!
Struts were replaced 2 yrs ago and shocks last December as were numerous bushings so I think the suspension is fine for bit. Agree that eibachs are a good option, rocked them on my first e46 323i.

Reactions: tbouchard991

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
199 Posts
Struts were replaced 2 yrs ago and shocks last December as were numerous bushings so I think the suspension is fine for bit. Agree that eibachs are a good option, rocked them on my first e46 323i.
Thats awesome! Yeah then don't worry about it then. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So put in some work on the wagon this weekend. Like many, I do not like the chrome accents on my BMWs. Took the time to watch some youtube vids and tackled vinyl wrapping the window trim. First time wrapping and there were some tricky spots but I think it turned out very well.

Before

After

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And grills

Before

After

·
Registered
199 Posts
That looks great!

I've considered getting rid of my chrome grill for a black one for quite some time now, its the only chrome on my 323iT. :unsure:

·
Registered
103 Posts
So put in some work on the wagon this weekend. Like many, I do not like the chrome accents on my BMWs. Took the time to watch some youtube vids and tackled vinyl wrapping the window trim. First time wrapping and there were some tricky spots but I think it turned out very well.

Before

View attachment 906070

After

View attachment 906071
Looks good! What Vinyl did you use?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Unlike the vinyl, this next mod was pretty quick and easy and really pleasing.

Picked up some gauge rings on amazon - unfortunately the only cost effective option was chrome colored. Problem solved with a little high temp silver paint I had in the garage. Instrument panel removal was painless and quick as was disassembly. Rings pop right in with a snug fit. At this point I took the opportunity to color the dial pointers red. Reassembly was a snap and the result is satisfying.

before

after

Reactions: tbouchard991

·
Registered
409 Posts
Welcome to the touring group - some really great enthusiasts in here.

For your keyfob button not working, contact Scott at BMWGM5.com

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
567 Posts
Welcome!

Nice work on the mods so far, the gloss black trim really makes a difference. Great looking car looking car overall and I think you've got a nice list of upgrades planed. I'm looking forward to following your build thread. As others have already commented there are quite a few wagon enthusiasts here, so you should feel right at home.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the touring group - some really great enthusiasts in here.

For your keyfob button not working, contact Scott at BMWGM5.com
Before blaming the GM5, try re-initializing, or re-pairing the fob to the car. It's a simple process, and if you have more than one key make sure you have them all with you so you only have to do it once.

DIY: BMW E46 key fob reprogramming

·
Registered
409 Posts
Before blaming the GM5, try re-initializing, or re-pairing the fob to the car. It's a simple process, and if you have more than one key make sure you have them all with you so you only have to do it once.

DIY: BMW E46 key fob reprogramming

Yes, you can try to reprogram, but I wasn't blaming the GM5. That's just the website name as that's what he started with. He also does key repair. In the cases that I have come across as the OP described it is usually the key. I have had GM5 issues before and they have always been intermittent and escalating. Anyway, instructions, including syncing are on his site and Scott will qualify the issue before you send they key in for repair.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Yes, you can try to reprogram, but I wasn't blaming the GM5. That's just the website name as that's what he started with. He also does key repair. In the cases that I have come across as the OP described it is usually the key. I have had GM5 issues before and they have always been intermittent and escalating. Anyway, instructions, including syncing are on his site and Scott will qualify the issue before you send they key in for repair.
Gotcha! These keys aren't fun to try and repair being a sealed unit. I'm usually game for anything, but not so much on this.

You can also take the key to a place like Batteries + and have them test it to see if it's transmitting. Some of the TPMS tools I've used have also had a key test feature. Might be an easy way to see if it is a key issue or a pairing issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts