BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I tried to search but the terms are generic and surprisingly came up with nothing in various combinations.

What is the prevailing wisdom, which is better for your soft-top for say 4-5 months of not using the car: leave the soft-top up or down? I have the removable hardtop but don't intend to drive the car much in cold weather.

Is it better to leave the top up, fully flexed/tense, or folded in the recess? I can't decide which is worse for the top in the long run.

I remember reading in the manual the option of completely REMOVING the soft-top from the vehicle, but that's out of the question on a seasonal basis...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes, I tried to search but the terms are generic and surprisingly came up with nothing in various combinations.

What is the prevailing wisdom, which is better for your soft-top for say 4-5 months of not using the car: leave the soft-top up or down? I have the removable hardtop but don't intend to drive the car much in cold weather.

Is it better to leave the top up, fully flexed/tense, or folded in the recess? I can't decide which is worse for the top in the long run.

I remember reading in the manual the option of completely REMOVING the soft-top from the vehicle, but that's out of the question on a seasonal basis...
The softtop will be fine tucked away for a couple months. Every winter I put the hardtop on and never worry about the softtop. I hardly drive the bmw during the winter, I keep it garaged and only take it out on nice days. So by putting the hardtop on it will prolong the life of the softtop.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The softtop will be fine tucked away for a couple months. Every winter I put the hardtop on and never worry about the softtop. I hardly drive the bmw during the winter, I keep it garaged and only take it out on nice days. So by putting the hardtop on it will prolong the life of the softtop.
I just bought mine in October and I believe the hardtop had been in place with the soft top folded for close to a year. There were some folds/marks on the top that I assumed were a result of the long term storage, they've become less visible in the last couple months but that's the kind of damage I'm worried about, the top getting pinched or abraded by the frame.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've heard that keeping it up is best for long term life, but that of course it can be down for months if cleaned and treated properly (for when a hard top in installed).

I would guess that it's OK as long as it's only tucked away for 3-4 months max?

Have you called the dealer to ask?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that keeping it up is best for long term life, but that of course it can be down for months if cleaned and treated properly (for when a hard top in installed).

I would guess that it's OK as long as it's only tucked away for 3-4 months max?

Have you called the dealer to ask?
I haven't called my local BMW dealer for anything - I bought used, past factory warranty. I think I'd trust advice from random strangers on the Internet more than I would a dealer :D I don't remember anything specifically in the manual about this, time for a re-read.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It was snowing for a few days (pretty hard) before I finally picked my car up, they washed and cleaned it and applied the front 3M film. The day before I came to pick it up they actually got the back-ordered hardtop in and to my surprise it was installed - perfect timing.

But now I am beginning to worry if they properly dried it before tucking it away. Since it was snowing and since they did wash the car there is a chance that they may have been lazy or overlooked the fact that that thing needs to be bone dry before stowing it away.

Now once spring hits and we remove the hardtop I will be pretty pissed if it goes up all creased and moldy. There would be :censor: hell to pay!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just bought mine in October and I believe the hardtop had been in place with the soft top folded for close to a year. There were some folds/marks on the top that I assumed were a result of the long term storage, they've become less visible in the last couple months but that's the kind of damage I'm worried about, the top getting pinched or abraded by the frame.
You will get some wrickels with the top stored way. But once the weather turns for the better and you pop the softtop out, those wrickels will go way. Don't worry so much, I have been doing this to the top for 4 years and everythings ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts