BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
loginfailed's 2001 E46 Touring *NEW SHOES*

I joined the E46 family a month or two ago. It's got high miles (130k) but it's hard to tell by looking at it.

How I bought it:

My buddy traded his 2001 330ci for a 2007 Infiniti M35. He had some RPM 505 wheels with some decent rubber, so he offered to trade me for my stock wheels (for free!). I took a few pics the other day (sorry car is dirty):

future plans:
buy a hitch mount for my mountain bike, then remove the entire roof rack (slick top)
set of 18" CSL replicas
lower the front by about 1" or so for a more level stance

Comments? (good or bad)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
go for 19" csls instead...they will look amazing. Other than that, your plans sound good, and the car looks great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Very nice touring!

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
i like your current wheels :) nice car

H&R Cupkit would be nice. if ur shocks have 130k on them, you will enjoy having a new matched spring/shock setup, with a marginal drop :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
go for 19" csls instead...they will look amazing. Other than that, your plans sound good, and the car looks great! :thumbsup:
Cool man, nice touring.. excited to see what you do to it (+1 on the 19"s)
I hear you guys on the 19's. I'll have to look into the price difference of the wheels & tires to see how much more it is. I just figured I'd go with 18's to save some cash since I wouldn't have to buy new tires.
Very nice touring!
Thanks!
i like your current wheels :) nice car

H&R Cupkit would be nice. if ur shocks have 130k on them, you will enjoy having a new matched spring/shock setup, with a marginal drop :)
Thanks for the thumbs up on the wheels. I like the way the current wheels look too, except for a couple issues. They are curbed pretty bad, some of the clear coat is peeling in spots & I think a couple of them are a bit bent even. Also, they have the fake rivets which I don't mind the look of, but they are a beotch to clean.

I'm sure the shocks & springs are original. New shocks would definitely help. It rides OK, but since I put the heavier 18's on I can tell the shocks are worn. I havent really put much thought into what suspension setup I want to do yet though. The H&R cup kit is a possibility though. I had a set on my old 94 Integra back in the day & I was pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got some new shoes today

The other wheels were vibrating REALLY bad on the freeway. I tried having them balanced (which did help) but discovered they have some bends in them while watching them spin on the balancer. They are also curbed pretty bad & the clear coat is starting to peel.

Basically, the easiest fix was new wheels. So I picked up a cheap set from Discount Tire. Now the car rides really smooth on the freeway. They are Drag DB-37, Hyper Silver, 18x8.5, +40 offset. I think they look pretty decent.

I've read people call these CSL reps but I think they look a little different than CSL's (at least in person). Either way I like them. I need to round up a set of BMW center caps, adjust front end ride height and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been working on the car a bit this weekend. I've been pretty productive and finished of a BUNCH of items on my never ending punch list. Here is what I've accomplished over the last 2 days:

• New Water Pump (w/ metal impeller)
  • ECS Aluminum Water Pump Pulley
  • New Fan Clutch
  • New Fan Blade
  • New Thermostat
  • New Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses
  • New Coolant Temp Sensor
  • New Expansion Tank & Cap
  • New OEM BMW Coolant
  • New Oil Filter Housting Gasket
  • Replaced Engine Oil w/ Mobil1 0w-40
  • New Final Stage Unit / Blower Resistor (old one had a mind of it's own)
  • New Sunroof Shade Slides (the shade was getting stuck)
  • New Passenger Front Window Regulator (finally not afraid to roll it down lol)
  • Removed Touring Roof Rack Rails
  • New Driver Door Midrange Speaker (was broken & fell into door)
  • Replaced "Drag" Center Caps w/ OEM BMW Center Caps
  • Cleaned & Organized Garage & Tools (long overdue)
  • Maybe some other stuff I forgot..
Everyone's seen all this stuff done before. To be honest I didn't feel like stopping every few minutes to take a pic, lol.

I'll clean the car tomorrow and hopefully post up some proper pics with the new center caps and no roof rails.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
e46 are great cars, they dont get broken in until 100k, good luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I really like the new wheels.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Minor changes..

I was off work Wednesday & Thursday and finally got a chance to catch up on some much needed garage time.

• Installed sport pkg springs in the front to reduce wheel gap
  • Replaced inner and outer tie rods
  • Hand washed exterior, detailed wheels, vacuumed & detailed the interior
  • Took some pics!
The front gap is about even with the rear now, compared to being at least 1/2" higher before. I guess the .6" stated for sport springs in the wiki is just about right on. The chassis however has a nice rake to it. I measured ground clearance at the lift pads.

Front:

Rear:

I took some shots with my point and shoot camera. Not the best quality, but here are the picks (pun intended) of the litter.

I know my passenger mirror is black and driver side is blue. The cover was loose when I bought the car. It finally fell off and I haven't had a chance to get the new one painted yet.

Tomorrow it is getting an alignment and 4 new tires.

Comments, suggestions and/or criticisms welcomed and appreciated!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts