BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new, every once in a while, I can't turn the key without trying to turn the locked steering a little.
Never a problem.

Just curious, has anyone's steering wheel ever locked so that you could not turn the key no matter what you do?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the time. I don't know why, but I think I've had that on every car I've owned.
Yeah, but my question was did it ever lock and you CAN'T free it?
What to do then?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Press the brake all the way down put the key in and yank the steering wheel. That's what always works for me. You should be able to feel it about to go loose. Kinda hard to explain
Then turn the key
Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Press the brake all the way down put the key in and yank the steering wheel. That's what always works for me. You should be able to feel it about to go loose. Kinda hard to explain
Then turn the key
Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
That's about it for me too...push it hard to one side and while holding it down, turn the key; i.e., +1

If that doesn't work, try just moving the car forward or backward...let off the emergency brake to free the wheel. There are just a few times I can remember it being locked in pretty hard...and maybe try another key if you have one and are really locked out right now.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
This is a feature of any modern car. A steering wheel lock or coloum lock. To activate it when the key is out turn the wheel till you hear a click. The steering wheel is now locked and you will not be able to start the car. To Release the lock Turn the wheel the same way you did to lock it while you do this turn the key and it will unlock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts