E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
E46 330i, E46 320i, E30 318i
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, big problem!

A couple of months ago i disconnected my battery from my E46 Wagon, mainly to charge it, and second to put the car away for storage over the winter. Today, i had to move the car. But this was impossible. Im locked out! I tried pulling the handle with a coat hanger, i tried everything i could think of. I saw some posts about hooking up positive to the starter, and negative to the frame further away, but i suppose this wouldnt work, since i dont have a battery at all in the car.

Any ideas on how i can hook the battery up to get enough power to unlock the doors? The key wont actually put the lock pin up, i can just see it moving ever so slightly.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd try to open the hood like if your cable would be broken (there are some diy, you take out the front grill, take a hook and grab the cable) and from there you have a positive and a negative to hook to.

i don't have any other idea, sorry 😅

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me guess: the car was locked and the trunk was open, you removed the battery, then closed the trunk?
Is the driver’s door mechanical lock broken?
Can you pop a front grill and get the hood open?
Yes exactly how it was done. Didn't really think it through, I know. But with that said lesson learned
The driver's door mechanism is not broken. It's just that the locking pin goes halfway up, and then stays put there. I guess it's electric and not really mechanical
I got the kidney grille out on the driver side (left side), and i can see inside. But i don't really see the cable, or the part where the cable connects to the hood-locking mechanism.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd try to open the hood like if your cable would be broken (there are some diy, you take out the front grill, take a hook and grab the cable) and from there you have a positive and a negative to hook to.

i don't have any other idea, sorry 😅
Yeah, I have seen some of those videos. Just can't seem to find where to hook up to. And where to pull.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
1,389 Posts
It's a wagon? You can climb in the trunk from inside. Open the driver's door with the key (you don't need power), reach through and open the driver's side rear door using the inside handle, fold the rear seats down, crawl into the trunk and reconnect the battery.

Or, after opening the driver's door, apply a 12v power source to the car via the cigarette lighter socket.

Or, after opening the driver's door, pop the hood and apply a 12v power source to the car via the jump start terminals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a wagon? You can climb in the trunk from inside. Open the driver's door with the key (you don't need power), reach through and open the driver's side rear door using the inside handle, fold the rear seats down, crawl into the trunk and reconnect the battery.

Or, after opening the driver's door, apply a 12v power source to the car via the cigarette lighter socket.

Or, after opening the driver's door, pop the hood and apply a 12v power source to the car via the jump start terminals.
Thats the problem, i cant get the door open with the key.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
1,389 Posts
You just put the key in and turn. It's mechanical. The central locking won't unlock without power but the driver's door will. Or should.

If it doesn't then there's something wrong with your lock, and you're out of options beyond learning how to use a slim jim or breaking the glass, I fear

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You just put the key in and turn. It's mechanical. The central locking won't unlock without power but the driver's door will. Or should.

If it doesn't then there's something wrong with your lock, and you're out of options beyond learning how to use a slim jim or breaking the glass, I fear
Yeah then i have a locking problem. I rarely never use it so i haven't really noticed it until now. Is the only option trying to get the hood open and connecting a battery there?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Is the only option trying to get the hood open and connecting a battery there?
Yep.
This blows. And a perfect example of why one needs to keep a locking system in order.
Agreed, but come on - let's give a big 'shout out' to the engineers at BMW that decided that the wagon didn't need a keyed lock on the rear hatch.

·
Premium Member
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L, 2.8L and 2.0L Z3's
1,897 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
821 Posts
In mine it feels like it wont unlock but you can, just put the key in the door and turn it to unlock, and then turn some extra, itl feel like its abt to break but then boom it unlocks, it feels wrong as it goes further then normal cars but just turn it anbit futher

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried it, didn't work!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In mine it feels like it wont unlock but you can, just put the key in the door and turn it to unlock, and then turn some extra, itl feel like its abt to break but then boom it unlocks, it feels wrong as it goes further then normal cars but just turn it anbit futher
Is this past 90 degrees? How much would you say you rotate the lock? Really don't feel like snapping the key. Lol

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
The key should open the driver door and the trunk due to a mechanical linkage. If you can get the door to open, then open the hood and in the right side (passenger side of LHD car), there is a red cover that has a post that you connect your RED jumper cable to, and you connect the BLK cable to a bracket on the engine, or to a heavy metal part on the body. This will give you electricity to get other locks to open.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The key should open the driver door and the trunk due to a mechanical linkage. If you can get the door to open, then open the hood and in the right side (passenger side of LHD car), there is a red cover that has a post that you connect your RED jumper cable to, and you connect the BLK cable to a bracket on the engine, or to a heavy metal part on the body. This will give you electricity to get other locks to open.
Yeah, im trying to do something similar. My main mission is to get the hood to open. Just so i can hook up power to there and get at least one door to open. Then i'll just crawl into the back and open the trunk with the emergency wire thingy that you pull. After that im set, and we're all good! Will get onto it tomorrow, its below freezing point and cold as shit

1 - 20 of 58 Posts