BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have a new problem that I know everyone is excited about. First I’d like to mention that my gearbox light turns on randomly and I notice it’s more likely to do so on highway speeds. The other thing is a couple days ago I was coming back home and I was driving the car pretty hard, staying consistently in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range for 35 minutes and the car was fine. Before the bridge I had to cross my car had a huge loss of power and had little to no power when I stepped on the gas. I had to get my car towed home and the managed to get some power back by resting but low power issue is still a thing. To test the car today I put it in steptronic mode, had it on m1, and floored the pedal and the car would not move as it did before. I checked the engine light codes and there was no vacuum leaks or anything. Another thing is between the 2000 to 2500 rpm range there’s a drone noise. What do you guys think my issue is after hearing my story?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I think your transmission is dead.

Does it tach up to 2800 or so rpm and pretty much just sit there?

You could scan the codes from both engine and transmission and see what it says...

t

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your transmission is dead.

Does it tach up to 2800 or so rpm and pretty much just sit there?

You could scan the codes from both engine and transmission and see what it says...

t
It drives okay past the 3000 rpm range actually so the car is still moving, driving it regular I brought it to highway speeds even though it took about twice the time to do so. And that’s what I was wondering about if I could test for transmission codes. How would I do that?

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
385 Posts
To test the transmission code, you need a good scanner with BMW software. There are many about, a couple are:

- Foxwell NT530 scanner with BMW software.

- INPA software (free) with special leads (cheap)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts