E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
e46 business TAPE stereo - chuk it off, or add an amp? How?

Hi, guys

PLEASE, HELP !!! :banghead: :cry:

I have a similar problem, only my e46 is equiped with a tape player controlling a 6 CD changer, ONLY there is no amp in the boot, the amplification comes from the built-in-the-tape player amp. Now, I have almost decided for an aftermarket head unit upgrade, and take all the factory setup out. I already have bought new speakers, and was about to buy a new ALPINE, but saw your thread. I initially wanted to add only an external amp and good speakers, but decided against it because I don't know what kind of signals are coming out of my OEM tape player and sent to the speakers. I was put off by the idea of using speaker level converters for each speaker knowing that this will add lots of noise and distortion. As a member of the forums already noted, the less components you have in your electronic circuit, the cleaner the signal.

I know that tape players are dated but I wanted to keep the clean looks of the car, there is nothing out there that looks better on the dash. So, what would you advise me? And have you had experience with upgrading business radios with tape players to anything, either just adding amps and speakers, or completely converting to aftermarket setup?
If you have any pics of cool looking aftermarket head units setups, I'd be more than happy to see them.

I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate your help !!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards,
K.T.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
+ small, maybe fit on back seat of a vert?
The newer puch amps are smaller and inexpensive but $150 is a close call. maybe less $$ if you get one through ebay or something. Some punch amps will need and adapter from a few years ago but the new smaller ones should be fine as noted above.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Jeez I wish I found this a few months ago - it probably would have saved me from selling an amp I thought was dead but probably wasn't.

Here's a list I've gone through lately-
Alpine MRV-F545 - will accept balanced inputs via RCA
Alpine MRP-F300 - will accept balanced inputs via RCA
Blaupunkt THA555PnP - will NOT accept balanced inputs via RCA. It may accept balanced inputs via the PnP adapter but good luck finding one or at least the connector. I think this applies for the whole line of their PnP amps but per Crutchfield they appear to have been discontinued.
A/D/S p840.2 - will NOT accept balanced inputs via RCA. It may via the DIN adapter but I didn't think to try that before taking the loss on eBay.
Infinity Kappa Five - will accept balanced inputs via RCA plus is a five channel amp with a built in crossover to derive the sub channel from the 4 channel input and it's only about 7 x 14" so nice and compact. This is what I've now installed in my e39. Also, it will accept up to a 6v input accommodating the 5v output in the e39 (which I presume is the same in the e46).

With respect to 5 channel amps I've seen a few people mention the PDX5. While it puts out a healthy dose of power - Alpines always seem to be underrated as the MRV-F545 I had was a monster - but it needs to have the sub channel driven on its own. It will not derive the sub channel from the 4 channel input and the manual does not make this clear.

To convert the twisted pair output to RCAs I took a twisted pair RCA cable from KnuKonceptz and chopped one end using a Molex connector to connect it to the 26-pin connector in my e39 for the output from the head unit. Some have mentioned the JL Audio XB-CLRAIC2-SW bare wire to RCA adapter cables - Crutchfield has them for about $13 each (2 needed for 4 channels). I've got the other half of my twisted pair cable I'd be willing to part with for much less if someone wants. Just PM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's a good summary.

I used the Blaupunkt THA555PnP on my Euro spec 6 speaker/no amp 325 and it has worked well.
Crutchfield only had a few of the PnP wiring kits left in stock but would not ship to me in Australia.
In the end I got the kit from these guys in the UK who were very helpful.
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/amplifier_9.asp
If they ship to Oz they should ship to the US as well although this was 6 months ago now.

Install is truly plug and play - it even takes power and ground from the HU connector to the amp if you want.
The gauge in the PnP kit is pretty small and if you mount the amp in the boot you end up with a very long run of thin wire.
I chose to do a shorter run of bigger gauge wire from the battery in the boot/trunk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i do'nt want to thread jack, but Scotes, are you happy with that Infinity Kappa Five? i'm looking at that one right now, but was wondering if you thought that the IK Five was worth getting over the Four if the fifth channel will be used for a small sub.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have been using JL amps and have been incorporating them on stock HU on at least 2 occasions. One was a Bose HU and the BMW radio. The JLS have RCA inputs only though it does accept Line Level inputs, however in order to have the amp work without a LOC all you would need to do is buy a twisted pair RCA and cut one end to use to connect to the speaker leads or signal leads from the stock HU while the RCA end go into the amp. This should yield the cleanest signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using JL amps and have been incorporating them on stock HU on at least 2 occasions. One was a Bose HU and the BMW radio. The JLS have RCA inputs only though it does accept Line Level inputs, however in order to have the amp work without a LOC all you would need to do is buy a twisted pair RCA and cut one end to use to connect to the speaker leads or signal leads from the stock HU while the RCA end go into the amp. This should yield the cleanest signal.
Thx, so Basically Connect the RCA cable from the back deck speakers straight into the amp that accepts line level inputs. My questions is when I connect the rear speakers to the amp and adjust the volume on the head unit will the volume control actually work?

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Hi, guys

PLEASE, HELP !!! :banghead: :cry:

I have a similar problem, only my e46 is equiped with a tape player controlling a 6 CD changer, ONLY there is no amp in the boot, the amplification comes from the built-in-the-tape player amp. Now, I have almost decided for an aftermarket head unit upgrade, and take all the factory setup out. I already have bought new speakers, and was about to buy a new ALPINE, but saw your thread. I initially wanted to add only an external amp and good speakers, but decided against it because I don't know what kind of signals are coming out of my OEM tape player and sent to the speakers. I was put off by the idea of using speaker level converters for each speaker knowing that this will add lots of noise and distortion. As a member of the forums already noted, the less components you have in your electronic circuit, the cleaner the signal.

I know that tape players are dated but I wanted to keep the clean looks of the car, there is nothing out there that looks better on the dash. So, what would you advise me? And have you had experience with upgrading business radios with tape players to anything, either just adding amps and speakers, or completely converting to aftermarket setup?
If you have any pics of cool looking aftermarket head units setups, I'd be more than happy to see them.

I'd REALLY, REALLY appreciate your help !!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Regards,
K.T.
It seems that only cars sold in the USA and cars sold with the HK system have separate amps. You car's head unit contains your amp.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bumping this thread. I have had a RE Audio(UsAmps) XT2000DEv2 mono amp hooked up for like year and didn't realize the BDL issue until this spring. It has been working fine. This series of RE Audio amps were designed Dirk Ecker of USAmps, which always accepted BDL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the opposite question. I replaced the head unit by Chinese aftermarket stereo/navigation for E46 and want to keep the factory amp. What do I need to make it work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the opposite question. I replaced the head unit by Chinese aftermarket stereo/navigation for E46 and want to keep the factory amp. What do I need to make it work properly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I don't think that will work.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.