BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along today minding my own business in traffic and shifted into third about to merge onto the Northern State Pkwy from the Meadowbrook when... Well, it was one hell of a shift, immediately upon shifting I felt the shifter go limp in my hand, sort of felt like I pulled the shift knob off by accident. I pulled over to the side of the road to discover I had no damn gears, the shifter just moved around freely and I couldn't engage any gear thus move the car without pushing it. It seems only authorized tow trucks can tow you off the parkway so I had to dish out $65 + tax just to get my car off the parkway then got it towed to my body shop. I figured there was no use bringing it to BMW and cry about warranty work when I have a Rogue SSK installed. So that's my day, how was yours?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMWERKEN said:
Might as well try BMW for the warranty work...worst comes to worst they just say u have an aftermarket part so go suck it and then just bring it to the body shop...
I guess I have a strong fear of rejection :eeps:

The car is already up on a lift at my shop where I just came from, I should be able to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. The only issue with a problem like this is the damn labor, for such a small ordeal it's a real pain in the ass to get to the problem (ie: exhaust, transmission).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GarrettF said:
id just have thme swap out the ssk and go to bmw for warranty work
It might come to that, I have the stock shifter sitting in my garage. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but I guess I'll get a better sense of how labor intensive the problem is when I hear back tomorrow from the shop. My only concern is why did this happen and if it will happen again? Haven't heard of this happening too often around here.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
427 Posts
misshift said:

Thanks, this seems to be the problem -- I'll be looking into replacing all of those parts. The weird thing is that this happened in my case after only 3500 miles. I guess it is all dependent on the harshness of ones shifting, I'm assuming I'll need to be more gentle in the future. Thanks again for your help!
Hi Misshift,

How did you make out? Did you get the problem fixed? Was it the problem as stated on the link?

Keep us posted.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chailo27 said:

Hi Misshift,

How did you make out? Did you get the problem fixed? Was it the problem as stated on the link?

Keep us posted.:thumbup:
Wow sorry I didn't see this thread bumped up.

Anyway, the problem was fixed in a few hours. The shop even admitted to doing a half-assed job and went ahead and ordered a total of 5 parts for the gear linkage, all of which I will have replaced at once. I hope I'm not missing anything as far as the parts, I used the ETK i had available. I'll keep you informed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts