BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have a 04' 330Cd and i love this car.
For start i will explain my experience with the OEM mirrors.
The system after +03 facelift coupe is a shi*t since its all packed inside a small pcb with a small MCU and smd components.... not very durable...
I did found the MCU for sale but none about the pins in datasheet.... the system is property of delphi........
So buy mcu and dont be able to upload the fw?! dead end

What i want does exactly the same as the well known modules in pré 2003 cars, so i dig a lot to find a way to use a more durable system since it fails for its week nature and bad insulation and i can tell you from some BMW dealers that they exchange in warranty a lot of them since the bad isolation from the elements.

Enough history.....

I disassembled the mirror and take out the pcb from the motors coupling i get the following:

Now im in a tricky part of the business, since the WDS is not quite clear about a few wires i will try to explain my doubts to find that someone can help me.
The wiring schematic is the following:

So from here and since i know it will use 11 wires i get this:

PIN 1 & PIN 2 ------------------- FOLDING MOTOR
PIN 5 ---------------------------- +12V HEATING ELEMENT
PIN 7 ---------------------------- GROUND FOR HEATING ELEMENT

Still 7 wires missing and have 10 contacts on the plastic assembly with motors and sensors.....

In this refered 4 pins im positively sure that they are right however the tricky comes next.
Using the schematics im getting trouble to find how to connect the vertical and horizontal motors and their sensors.
I have 2 contacts per motor and 3 contacts per motors sensor.
Using the old pcb for reference in this i found this 2 lines that jumps wires from the motors and the sensors, marked in red on the image (its paint so sucks) bellow.

upload pic

Now i need help understand the workings of this.
Hope this help lot of Ci's and Cd's like me to have fully functional mirrors without having to pay 1k$
for 2 mirrors.

If someone knows read the schematics better help will be greatly appreciated.
Or if someone is pitty of me deassemble its own mirror and take a picture i even pay for it.

Edit: PIN 8 seems a ground for sensors. They are double resistance sensors so there should be the same as the 4 components within the mirror actuator
Luckily Timóteo will find oneout to copy the work

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE

This morning I've asked my GF's brother (who own's a e46 touring 2002 with memory and folding) to see the back of his mirror actuator, where in my case the LINBUS module is to find, and figure how to connect it to the door module.
The image of his actuator is this:

Based on that the mechanics are 100% equal just the pcb schematic change.

So I decided to follow by eye (i didn't have my multimeter with me to double check and track the pcb) so i came with this diagram (probably not final version since i dont trust until i check it with multimeter!!!!:tsk::tsk: )

Now all the 11 wires have connection.
Im waiting for the door modules to arrive and start testing it with car.

Next will take off PIN 48 in GM5 and connect it to the KBus available in junction block near the fuses panel, to work as refered as until 2003 in bmw WDS in KBUS system.

In NCsexpert i know that i have to set OFF 2 specif parameters in GM5 refered next:
This are changed since the gm5 will not handle the mirror management anymore, it will be handled by modules in doors connected to the generic K-bus.

MIT_LIN - WITH LIN-BUS --------------- set it to OFF so the gm5 will track the door modules not in Linbus pin but in Kbus instead
MIT_LIN_SCHALTER - WITH LIN-BUS SWITCHES -------------------- set it to OFF so the gm5 dont expect control via Linbus pin in gm and look for it on KBus

Maybe will be a few more parameters to set OFF beacuse they are the same avaiable to the ones in the FTM modules..... and guess I just need it to be set in one place since the parameters are exact copies.

Yet to test that part but all is coming together to solve this and just for like 25$usd (modules with shipping to Portugal).
:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

And if all my time and work is correct those bastards should start working again! :craig::craig::craig::craig:

I will keep you guys since i learn so much with you and want to give back knologe also.
Any ideias thoughts and help will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:
Using the above diagram on motor actuator I was able to make them move... Up Down Right Left.... SUCESS!! 🤗🤗

Now Just the position sensor on actuator needs to be connected.
Hopefully in a few hours it will be tested outside the car and maybe even today will redo the first post to help others like me.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Need help. I can see the modules on INPA however I can't see them on ncsexpert and therefore I can't program them to show LHD and the joystick responds to the correct side of the car. Since my car had the ribbon wire system and had them with memory and power folding, I all ready have in the VO the $313 on my modules. I try to find the FTM and BTM on NCS with no luck. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my ALE-L21 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after a iatus because preps for my weeding im back working on car. So far i was able to put old stile mirrors working on a lim bus mirror car. Memory and thr rear gear tilt works. However i cant seem to get the FTM and BTM to code the CONFORT FOLDING. I tryed a lot of times to recode but i wont change a thing. Any help will be apreciated and maybe earn a few bucks

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
18,540 Posts
Ok so everything you posted is basically chinese to me

I have an 04 coupe but i have M3 mirrors (6 pin I believe) so, i've been without power for quite some time. Does the information above tell me I can get these working?

Sincerely,

Clueless

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
From what I read, he's back converting the mirrors, and apparently when you get down to it, the pure motor is the same, but has a different more complex pcb on ribbon mirror cars "limbus"
He's trying to get NCS expert to see the modules and classic wiring he has added but it won't.
He has the functions working, but he can***8217;t code the system, and probably can***8217;t code car anymore either.
That's becasue on his version of car such a thing doesn't exist since it all got moved into the gm5. And NCS knows this.

So he'd have to trick NCS by putting in an old vin so it would accept the old modules, at least that's my take on it. Or stick them into an older car to code them, then move them back.
I ran into the same issue when I tried to use an older lkm in my car than what it came with. NCS wouldn't even acknowledge it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I read, he's back converting the mirrors, and apparently when you get down to it, the pure motor is the same, but has a different more complex pcb on ribbon mirror cars "limbus"
He's trying to get NCS expert to see the modules and classic wiring he has added but it won't.
He has the functions working, but he can***8217;t code the system, and probably can***8217;t code car anymore either.
That's becasue on his version of car such a thing doesn't exist since it all got moved into the gm5. And NCS knows this.

So he'd have to trick NCS by putting in an old vin so it would accept the old modules, at least that's my take on it. Or stick them into an older car to code them, then move them back.
I ran into the same issue when I tried to use an older lkm in my car than what it came with. NCS wouldn't even acknowledge it.
The trick is to code a VO from a car on my year to production with no LIN, ive codded with BL91 (m3 european) instead of mine BV51 (320cd) and in NCS where they are. SO IS 100% Working!

·
Registered
146 Posts
SUCESS! Further details later today

Hey freddy_kat_PT you have clearly been inside the mirror actuator system for our cars. I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.

I have a US spec 2004 (facelift) E46 330CiC and I am looking to upgrade the mirrors to power fold.

Do you know if all facelift mirror actuators are able to decode the bus signals for the fold in mirror motor. I am wondering because I could theoretically buy the housings from a non facelift model, and connect the two motor cables to my actuator which will decode the bus signal to fold the mirrors in... The only thing I don't know is if these pins are available on all mirror actuators or only on mirror actuators that came with the package.

I have the soldering skills to connect the lines, I just don't know if they exist on my actuators.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Freddy, I'm new to this forum. I am struggling to do something similar.
My car is from 2005, I didn't had folding mirrors or LIN mirrors, I had only 6 wires normal mirrors.
I installed seats with memory, and folding mirrors with memory with 11 wires and purple switch. All of them are on the k-bus network. Folding, tilt in reverse, adjustment, the memory from the mirrors and memory from the seats are working.
The only thing that is not working is the fold/unfold from the key fob.

A quick question for you. In the text bellow, you meant to say that you will connect the LIN wire from PIN 48 to Kbus network?
''Next will take off PIN 48 in GM5 and connect it to the KBus available in junction block near the fuses panel, to work as refered as until 2003 in bmw WDS in KBUS system.''

I have the LIN communication deactivated in VO.
I am using NCS expert and I don't really know what I need to add in VO to change to a vehicle, my VO currently has this format #0305, probably I will need to add something like #0501?

I am thinking, if I will modify the vehicle order to a non LIN vehicle, and route the PIN 48 from GM5 to Kbus, it should appear direct on the list of ECU's the FTM and BTM modules?
Do I need to add separate the codes for the modules FTM and BTM in VO?

Hopefully you can help me with an answer.

Many thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts