BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 328i (automatic, non-step) keeps throwing itself into Limp Mode when I corner hard.

Circumstances:
  • Hard cornering (when the chassis rolls a bit)
  • Frequently when turning left, less often when turning right.
  • Speed doesn't seem to be a factor
  • Limp Mode engages ~5 seconds after leaving the corner
  • Resets to normal if I turn the car off for ~10 seconds
  • I got it to Autozone once: P0735
I'll accidentally trigger it once every couple of weeks during the summer. Michigan roads are too bad during the Winter to corner hard enough to set it off :)

Apart from that, it drives fine, apart from the occasional chugging off-of-the-line (which I think is the VANOS). When you initially shift into drive or reverse you can feel a little jolt and hear a soft clunk, but this is my first BMW. Unsure if that is normal. The transmission fluid's less than a year old. Shifts are smooth, no problems shifting into reverse. I've never triggered Limp Mode from accelerating, braking, driving at a certain speed, or any other way apart from cornering.

The most promising fix I found online for the Limp Mode is a failing speed sensor on the transmission. Could that fit these symptoms?

Possible solutions. Please let me know if one sounds ridiculous so I can eliminate it as a possibility:
  • Transmission speed sensor
  • Speed sensors on the wheels?
  • Transmission pressure regulator
  • Firmware
  • Low fluid (the mechanic who changed the fluid previously thought this was unlikely)
  • Busted transmission, e.g. opportunity to convert to a manual

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed. I finally bit the bullet gave it to a local indie transmission shop (All Automotive Transmission in Portage, Michigan, fantastic place).

They found that it was slightly low on fluid with a slow leak around the gasket, and simply recommended a good service. Meaning: drop the pan, full interior transmission clean, new filters, a new gasket, and six quarts of BMW ATF. From dropoff to pickup, they had it for 24hrs. $246 parts & labor :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fixed. I finally bit the bullet gave it to a local indie transmission shop (All Automotive Transmission in Portage, Michigan, fantastic place).

They found that it was slightly low on fluid with a slow leak around the gasket, and simply recommended a good service. Meaning: drop the pan, full interior transmission clean, new filters, a new gasket, and six quarts of BMW ATF. From dropoff to pickup, they had it for 24hrs. $246 parts & labor :D
Not bad for a transmission service. These run about 400$ or so in SoCal with a couple indie shops I have inquired with. Glad you got the problem fixed :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts