BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting to buy a set of 18" BBS RGR.

Suddenly a good deal on a set of 19" of the same wheel have become available. I know everyone here always says go 19 over 18, but I have concerns about ride quality, especially after reading the Tirerack's Wheel Tech article about wheels/weights. It states that as far as ride quality is concerned heavier is better when it comes to larger applications. Of course handling and acceleration are better with lightweight wheels.

Will the ride suck?

:dunno:

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
noflash said:
I have been waiting to buy a set of 18" BBS RGR.

Suddenly a good deal on a set of 19" of the same wheel have become available. I know everyone here always says go 19 over 18, but I have concerns about ride quality, especially after reading the Tirerack's Wheel Tech article about wheels/weights. It states that as far as ride quality is concerned heavier is better when it comes to larger applications. Of course handling and acceleration are better with lightweight wheels.

Will the ride suck?

:dunno:
The weight will not be dramatically different enough for most to even notice on even aggressive street driving. The mains issues to consider will be the ride, and having less sidewall to protect against wheel bending from potholes, etc. If you can put up with a stiffer ride and get used to scanning the road ahead (the actual road surface...), you should be happy with the 19" application.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weight will not be dramatically different enough for most to even notice on even aggressive street driving. The mains issues to consider will be the ride, and having less sidewall to protect against wheel bending from potholes, etc. If you can put up with a stiffer ride and get used to scanning the road ahead (the actual road surface...), you should be happy with the 19" application.
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts