BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to John and Yellowman for the install. They look great.

We ran them to the fogs. The instructions say to go to the ECU. There's no way that was happening though.

We had some trouble with the rings. The wiring isn't the greatest and they seem to not want to stay at their brightest. We think we have the wires placed so they will stay bright, but we'll see.

The pass. side takes a bit to warm up and get bright. But so far, they look good.

·
Registered
459 Posts
looks sweet mate! Where u get them?

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,639 Posts
Glad you like it but I didn't get home to Harrisburg till 2 AM. Since the lighting install took long due to some problems. My main reason down there in Phili was push back :sad:

If I had to do a review on this new Lighting, I would say these do look good. I would definitely change few things about it to make it better and easier to install. We didn't follow the instruction to hook to ECU..no way. The reason why it took us so long was trying to get the rings to light up bright. As most that install it probably had the same problems of dimming rings.

·
4,639 Posts
M3Rill I think your rings are defected....
Check with Umnitza.

Steve, we notice that the dimming is so funny ... we try everything and cant pin point the reason. The connections is all tight and when we twist the ring the dimming got brighter which dont make sense. I think the wire from where it meets the ring is not giving the neon the full glow. There very fragile so we didnt want to try taping it to see if it would glow better. The auto leaving on the car would mess the lightning after we get it to glow perfectly. Even when we tap directly to 12volts it was still dim. Trust me we try it all and cant figure why it fluctuate so much. :dunno:

But like I said earlier its looks good but I would better the design.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Yellowmann said:
M3Rill I think your rings are defected....
Check with Umnitza.

Steve, we notice that the dimming is so funny ... we try everything and cant pin point the reason. The connections is all tight and when we twist the ring the dimming got brighter which dont make sense. I think the wire from where it meets the ring is not giving the neon the full glow. There very fragile so we didnt want to try taping it to see if it would glow better. The auto leaving on the car would mess the lightning after we get it to glow perfectly. Even when we tap directly to 12volts it was still dim. Trust me we try it all and cant figure why it fluctuate so much. :dunno:

But like I said earlier its looks good but I would better the design.
I hear ya, those intermittent problems can be a biotch sometimes. Sounds like it could be a bad solder joint at the bulb to me. I'm just hoping all the bugs with these things get ironed out because I'd like to get a set. Do you have any more pics of the install? Wiring etc.?

I still have a brand new set of Gen something or another out in my garage that I never installed because some people were having interference problems with the auto-leveling Xenons. Plus, IMHO, the light boxes are a bit rough.

Keep us posted.

·
4,639 Posts
Steve said:

I hear ya, those intermittent problems can be a biotch sometimes. Sounds like it could be a bad solder joint at the bulb to me. I'm just hoping all the bugs with these things get ironed out because I'd like to get a set. Do you have any more pics of the install? Wiring etc.?

I still have a brand new set of Gen something or another out in my garage that I never installed because some people were having interference problems with the auto-leveling Xenons. Plus, IMHO, the light boxes are a bit rough.

Keep us posted.
Steve, since Jon and I did the install, I didnt get a chance to take pics... maybe John M can take some.

About solding we did the wire points but didn't touch anything near the neon since we didnt want anything damage to the rings.

Im sure they will improve on this like they always do with different versions. Maybe I will do one myself :lmao:

Well, good luck with yours and if you have questions I will do the best I can since Im not the professional....I'll leave that for Matt @ Umnitza.

·
Banned
512 Posts
this is Jon, helped with install.

I've used many cold cathode lights in PC modding, in fact when we were installing, and it was dim, I broke out some off my old cathode inverters to check. It seems (as I have had this problem before) that the gas inside is either not enough, ie. the bulb is filled but not exactly topped off, or that the current going through the bulb is not enough. Literally spinning the ring on its wires (twisting wires) causes it to get brighter, and then BAM its max bright. Sounds like a loose wire, but i tried to make it happen and couldn't replicate.

One thing that I always avoid is that if you have 4 lights, which you do, that you have four inverters. Inverters are a touchy thing. Measuring the output current is very difficult because of the way that they work. that's a personal theory since I don't like to put inverters on high-load because it causes instability. Also, the tapping of the ECU to achieve this 10-second delay... that's a very very very risky idea. I would much rather just put a capacitor on the line for the inverters and do some math to get them to shut off after about 10 seconds. The ECU is very touchy as some people found out. I think that the kit is ok, it is very impressive when it is lit up, but the auto-leveling head lights knock the rings out of perfect alignment (meaning when we get them to light full bright, the auto level hits them and they dim). Otherwise it's a great kit albeit a little (read, very) expensive. I will be talking to Jon and seeing if he can swing by again sometime once he gets new bulbs and try and work this out, maybe modifying the headlight trim so it doesnt touch the clips.

·
-not a mod-
31,652 Posts
What kind of issues have people run into with running the lightnings off the ECU? I did this and hav had no problems so far. I am going to solder the connection points tommorow if I get time. Every so often Ill have one ring that takes a while to kick start itself, but everntually it comes on. Once they are all on though they are very bright and look sweet as hell. :D

·
4,639 Posts
IMO there is no need to tap into the ECU..there are so many other ways to do it and safely. The ECU is the brain and like any eletrical parts its sensative. I think its just a precaution that is all since the ECU is not a cheap piece.

·
Banned
512 Posts
BudMan2003 said:
What kind of issues have people run into with running the lightnings off the ECU? I did this and hav had no problems so far. I am going to solder the connection points tommorow if I get time. Every so often Ill have one ring that takes a while to kick start itself, but everntually it comes on. Once they are all on though they are very bright and look sweet as hell. :D
Personal friend of mine and memeber of the board had opened ECU to do this, put car back together and car wouldn't start. Starter wouldn't even turn. I just plain thinkit is a bad idea. The only time my ECU is open is when a chip is going on it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
There is no problem with opening the cover to the ECU and tapping into the wires... follow the directions and you will be fine.
Its not some magic box... its simple and straight forward.
Now the rings on the other hand.... Very very fragile but they sure do look good!

·
Banned
512 Posts
If you feel confident and comfortable using easy-crimps in your ECU then by all means go for it. If, on the other hand, you don't want to load any circuits more than default in a highly sensitive area, then you have many options for running your wiring. The relay can be completely bypassed. The inverter is a low amperage devices that needs 12v of current... you could run it from your cigarrete lighter if you really wanted. The options are numerous... why they chose the ECU i'll never understand... yeah it's there and is easy to access, but you could definitely use a capacitor and leave that poor ecu alone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts