E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lighted sun visors dont light up. I checked the fuse and all are ok it seems. I removed the visors to clean them and they have wires running into them. (surprised me...didnt know they were supposed to light up) I used a test light on the connectors but dont know how much power is going to them. My test light is an led type and may not light up with less than 12 volts. idk

Any ideas? Are the wires carrying 12 volts or maybe the light bulbs are out?
Thanks for any help on this issue.

Alan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Should be 12v. Get a multimeter and check to see if the light bulb (not wiring) has any resistance. If it's 0, then you have a problem.
How would I check the bulbs? The visor is all one piece as far as I can tell.

Alan

·
Registered
267 Posts
The two wire harness going to the visor is a switch. Unplug the cable, then connect the wires together using a spare piece of wire. If the light goes on, you know the problem is with the visor switch.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two wire harness going to the visor is a switch. Unplug the cable, then connect the wires together using a spare piece of wire. If the light goes on, you know the problem is with the visor switch.
The light bulb is inside the visor. My car does not have the lights mounted in the headliner type visors.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you get a picture of what you're talking about?
Sure here are two. When I slide the cover back I can hear what sounds like a switch clicking

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is the bulb located? The visors look just like mine, but the lights are in the headliner.
I assume they are inside the mirror assembly. I cant see them but it looks like there is some of that white plastic that is used in alot of lights to distribute and carry the light to other areas. Like when somethings sorta glows instead of a direct pointed light.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
You probably guessed correctly in that the two wires are for a switch which should activate a light. However, the light will not be in the sun visor, it should be on the headliner. I'm almost 100% certain all e46s came with vanity lights in the headliner and never in the sun visor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You probably guessed correctly in that the two wires are for a switch which should activate a light. However, the light will not be in the sun visor, it should be on the headliner. I'm almost 100% certain all e46s came with vanity lights in the headliner and never in the sun visor.
I agree with you, but his headliner doesn't have cutouts for the lights. OP, did you get the car new? Was the headliner recovered with fabric?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ummm ok. This is what is shown for my car.Exactly like in the pictures I posted above.
No bulb holder on the headliner.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AM53&mospid=47723&btnr=51_3243&hg=51&fg=40

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's the same part shown for my car, and it has vanity lights in the headliner. I think the description is misleading, it doesn't mean that the visor has a light built in. OP, you need to do some more investigating - see if the headliner was recovered, feel around for the cutouts for the lights in the headliner, check above the headliner (you will have to drop it slightly) for wires for the lights.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That's the same part shown for my car, and it has vanity lights in the headliner. I think the description is misleading, it doesn't mean that the visor has a light built in. OP, you need to do some more investigating - see if the headliner was recovered, feel around for the cutouts for the lights in the headliner, check above the headliner (you will have to drop it slightly) for wires for the lights.
I guess it was recovered at some point. I felt for cutouts but I cant feel any.
Maybe they filled in the holes when they recovered it.
Oh well. Its no big deal just wish they lit up.

BTW what is OP?

Thanks anyway

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you, but his headliner doesn't have cutouts for the lights. OP, did you get the car new? Was the headliner recovered with fabric?
No I bought the car used.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't give up, follow through and find the answer! I just changed from a gray headliner to black and I have some extra parts including gray vanity lights. I'll donate them if you figure it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts