E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Top2Bottom
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys,

My clutch is about ready to go... it is doing some major slipping. When i try to do a launch now, it just revs up and goes nowhere. This has been happening for some time, actualy ever since i got the car it has been slipping a little. Im guessing the previous owner had no clue how to drive stick.

Anywase here is where im at. I was considering doing nitrous, my buddy just bought it for about 1000 out the door, and i actualy had the order set up too, but i pussied out, it was such a great deal at the Summit XIII show this weekend at summit racing with 10% off.

Thankfully i decided to do some more reasearch on it. Now i think that my 1000 dollars would be better spent on replacing my clutch and going with a lightweight flywheel.

So here is my question. What do you guys think would be a realistic quote for the install.

Also how hard is it to install as a DIY. Now im not a retard over here, i think that i could do it, ive taken apart a engine before and replaced pistons and what not, so what do you think, is it do able????

let me know

thanks

kevin

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
TopazBimma said:
Alright guys,

My clutch is about ready to go... it is doing some major slipping. When i try to do a launch now, it just revs up and goes nowhere. This has been happening for some time, actualy ever since i got the car it has been slipping a little. Im guessing the previous owner had no clue how to drive stick.

Anywase here is where im at. I was considering doing nitrous, my buddy just bought it for about 1000 out the door, and i actualy had the order set up too, but i pussied out, it was such a great deal at the Summit XIII show this weekend at summit racing with 10% off.

Thankfully i decided to do some more reasearch on it. Now i think that my 1000 dollars would be better spent on replacing my clutch and going with a lightweight flywheel.

So here is my question. What do you guys think would be a realistic quote for the install.

Also how hard is it to install as a DIY. Now im not a retard over here, i think that i could do it, ive taken apart a engine before and replaced pistons and what not, so what do you think, is it do able????

let me know

thanks

kevin
I had my mechanic change my regular flywheel with a lightweight flywheel. Had to take the exhaust off and then the transmission. Need stands for the transmission. Also needed a really long extension to get the bolts off(about 3 feet, I'd guess). Would probably need 2 people to do the job. I stayed and helped. Did not seem too difficult. Getting the pilot shaft into the flywheel bearing seemed to be the hardest part of it. The starter also had to be disconnected. Should not be too hard if you have done a motor. Easier on a lift though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am an able mechanic, used to work on Airplanes. I would not do it alone. I would get the help of someone who knows what's going on w/o having to look at a bently repair manual.

·
Top2Bottom
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not worried about the tools, i have a lift and stands and everything....

just the difficulty of the install, taking apart the transmission and what not...

thanks

kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.