BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i tried messing around with Lighting and shutter speeds. I'll number the picture this time and please comment on how to make the pictures better.

On the "panning" shots all the pics I took usually only focused a half to two thirds of the car. I took a lot of shots and none of them focused the whole car? Do I need to stand farther back or something?

This is my first time using artificial lighting during the night time. Those are the pictures of the bikes.

Thrown in there are some shots that I thought turned out good except for the missing front bumper that got ripped off. Fixing that today!

the best panning shot

shutter speed

too dark?

too much editing on the clouds?

too dark?

thought this kinda looked cool

artificial light

artificial light

artificial light

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,058 Posts
Okay.....

Still twice as many shots as you should post if you want some quality feedback, but....

Regarding "focus" for panning shots: The car is moving. Therefore the focus will change as it moves. Don't expect to do panning shots and have 100% focus. There are things that affect this. For example, if you use a longer lens, the car will not have as much angular movement so the focus will be more consistent throughout the exposure. You are moving the camera and using a slow shutter speed, so YOU are affecting the focus, but the reduction is sharpness is due to motion, not focus.

#1 looks good, but keep your horizon level (or crop it to be so). Looks like you still need some color correction as well as light/contrast adjustment, but this is much better than anything I've seen you post in the past.

#3.... Too dark? Yes. And no. The problem you are dealing with there is the car and people want to be exposed lighter for proper exposure, but your background and sky do not. It's always a problem shooting into the light. There are things that can be done about this, but they are not simple. One is to use masks to "dodge and burn" (old-school term from making images in a darkroom - much easier with digital now). The other is to add fill flash, but the reflections will look unnatural.

#5 & #6 are by far the best images I've seen you post (missing bumper not withstanding).

#7.... See answer for #3.

Nice to see you're listening and learning.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay.....

Still twice as many shots as you should post if you want some quality feedback, but....

Regarding "focus" for panning shots: The car is moving. Therefore the focus will change as it moves. Don't expect to do panning shots and have 100% focus. There are things that affect this. For example, if you use a longer lens, the car will not have as much angular movement so the focus will be more consistent throughout the exposure. You are moving the camera and using a slow shutter speed, so YOU are affecting the focus, but the reduction is sharpness is due to motion, not focus.

#1 looks good, but keep your horizon level (or crop it to be so). Looks like you still need some color correction as well as light/contrast adjustment, but this is much better than anything I've seen you post in the past.

#3.... Too dark? Yes. And no. The problem you are dealing with there is the car and people want to be exposed lighter for proper exposure, but your background and sky do not. It's always a problem shooting into the light. There are things that can be done about this, but they are not simple. One is to use masks to "dodge and burn" (old-school term from making images in a darkroom - much easier with digital now). The other is to add fill flash, but the reflections will look unnatural.

#5 & #6 are by far the best images I've seen you post (missing bumper not withstanding).

#7.... See answer for #3.

Nice to see you're listening and learning.
Thanks man! Ok so for the panning shots are you saying that I'll probably have less blur if I use a longer lens from farther away? (aka a lens that can zoom farther)

·
Registered
25,535 Posts
Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom, it'll help post-processing a lot.

Your artificial light is too harsh and are just car headlights...master your camera settings before you start messing with lighting.

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a copy of Adobe Lightroom, it'll help post-processing a lot.

Your artificial light is too harsh and are just car headlights...master your camera settings before you start messing with lighting.
camera settings? What kind of settings can I mess with on the camera? :) The ISO?

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
and just like that, your plasti-dip bumper is in half
Nope not in half, just got pulled off bro

Aperture, exposure, ISO...

And you already ripped your bumper in half? Seriously?
No it just got pulled off. Dumb question, is aperture, exposure and iso all the same thing?

#1 would have been better had you used a higher f-stop.
Higher F-stop means more light gets in right?

Edit: Fixing the bumper as we speak :)

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Dumb question, is aperture, exposure and iso all the same thing?

Higher F-stop means more light gets in right?
If you have to ask questions like this, you need to take a step back. Stop attempting shots of rolling cars. Stop attempting to take "sweet" car shots. Just stop everything right now.

Step one, RTFM. Seriously, it's not that hard to read the basics in there. It'll take you half an hour tops.

Step two, RTFM. Now read more about what the metering modes, focus modes, shooting modes, etc all do. Once you can recite this from memory after being woken up at 2am from a deep sleep then we can move forward.

Step three, take test shots. Take test shots of a STATIONARY object to play with what the different ISO, shutter speed, aperature values do. Your bumper which was "pulled off" is probably a good candidate here.

Step four, learn how to edit. Just because you know where the Photoshop shortcut icon is on your desktop does not make you an expert. This takes many many many hours of playing around and/or classes to learn how to do properly. Remember, a well edited image doesn't look edited. Kind of like a $2 hooker or a classy girl.

Step five, take simple photos of easy things. Buildings, flowers, friends, etc is a good start here. Learn how to work with natural light before you start adding your own. Adding your own light is not as easy as it looks and it takes time to master this.

Step six, you aren't ready for step six so work on one through five and we'll come back to this. I don't want to keep typing for nothing.

One more thing, do you have a tripod? If not, then get one. Now.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
^:rofl: TRUTH.

Listen man, I'll tell you this much, these shots are a whole lot better than what you posted last week but you still need to learn the basics (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed), like I, and many other fanatics have told you previously. Don't try to get too fancy with your artificial light and all that schnazz because unless you know the basics, it'll look like sh1t. Actually, if you use car headlights as lighting equipment it will almost always look like sh1t.

If you keep asking the same questions and coming back with the same results, people are not gonna want to spend their time helping you. Just my $0.02

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^:rofl: TRUTH.

Listen man, I'll tell you this much, these shots are a whole lot better than what you posted last week but you still need to learn the basics (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed), like I, and many other fanatics have told you previously. Don't try to get too fancy with your artificial light and all that schnazz because unless you know the basics, it'll look like sh1t. Actually, if you use car headlights as lighting equipment it will almost always look like sh1t.

If you keep asking the same questions and coming back with the same results, people are not gonna want to spend their time helping you. Just my $0.02
I'm letting this thread die bro, I'm done asking questions on here. (at least i'll try not to)

Thanks for all the help though guys.

Do you really think the motorcycle shots with the cars lights on look shitty? I like how they look a lot?

·
Banned
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, they look terrible. You are shining car headlamps onto objects... how could that possibly look good? Maybe for people in the showroom it's acceptable but this is the photography forum. Look at the quality of the photos posted in here...

Please, try not to crowd the photography forum with nonsense threads. If you have some good material to post or some honest questions to ask, that's great! Though with all of the threads you have made, it is apparent that you have no initiative to learn. Pick up your manual and read it. Is it really that difficult?

Because you have no idea what your camera does, you are merely going out and attempting to take all different kinds of photos. All of which are turning out poorly. From my perspective, they all look like phone photos, nothing more.

Read that manual, learn how to use that camera properly, get a tripod, and make some good threads :thumbup:
haha dude this thread was in the showroom forum, they moved it into the photography forum........

ok well thanks for your input. Only thing about those shots that look bad to me is that they are a little grainy. idk though i'm not a pro photographer so I probably don't see all the little problems.

Anyways we can let this thread die now :)

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
If you dont like reading the manual pick up a book on canons from some acclaimed photographer. They can be easier to flip through than the manual and pick up tips and tricks on the camera. Once you get those basics down then you can fine tune it on here. A lot of these guys know their stuff and are more than willing to help you only if you are willing to do some work on your own first.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts