BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my car spinned once on the snow last year I am kind of scare of driving a car on the snow.

I put winter tires but still I am kind of not want to drive RWD anymore on the snow.

I was looking at e46 325xi or 330xi but I don't really like e46 sedan.

If there is e46 coupe (AWD) but there is no such thing.

IS250 AWD what do you think??

reliability? performance? gas mileage? handling?

I Need your opinion thanks

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
RWD requires more caution and sensitivity with gas pedal in the snow. AWD car will definitely be handle better while accelerating but it will spin out just like RWD car during turns and under braking.

So don't expect to get a AWD car and think you will just zip through streets in snow. It will definitely be easier but if you drive without a caution (too fast and hit the has pedal to hard), AWD car is going to spin out just like your car.

Saying all that Lexus usually has good reputation so if you are looking to get an AWD, I dont think it is a bad choice. e46 has an AWD as well but not in a coupe which is the same thing in Lexus.

I am pretty sure e46 BMW AWD system has a fixed ratio where torque is split between front and rear in 40/60(I thin) ratio. Lexus AWD is smarter where it adjusts the torque between front and rear depending on the conditions.

If your goal is safety in snow, Audi might be better choice since they have much more experience in AWD systems.

Nothing is more dangerous in snow than having too much confidence. All the years that I drove in snow, nearly all the snow related accidents I have seen were AWD vehicles(Mostly Subarus & SUVs). I have driven for hours at a time in major snow storms and car does fine as long as you as:
1. Drive smooth - smooth acceleration by feathering the gas pedal and no hard steering inputs

2. AVOID uphills - this is where AWD helps. RWD is no good if you are going uphills. You can go up most up hills if you have enough momentum going in but you cant stop and go on a uphill. Avoid steep uphills at all cost.

3. Maximum 5 inches of snow on the road. Coupe is about 6 inches of the ground so if snow is more than 5 inches then car will bottom out. This is true if the car is RWD, FWD or AWD. Once the snow is higher than cars ground clearance, tires will not touch the ground so they will just spin out endlessly.

4. Snow Tires. According to other fanatics, snow tires makes major difference. I personally never used them. I stick with All-Season tires and they work fine for my location where we might have a snow every 2 weeks during winter. If you are in canada or northern USA where it snows alot more and frequently, you might give this a shot.

People think their AWD is something that defies the laws of physics and they charge snow covered roads like they are driving on pavement. What they dont realize is when it comes to stopping, slowing down or turning, their fancy AWD car is no different than a RWD or FWD car. They have this false confidence because they can accelerate from a stand still a lot quicker than other cars in snow because of this, they think their car has a lot more traction than other cars and they end up in a ditch , in the back of another car or spinned out on the side of a road.

While taking turns, if you use too much gas, RWD car might fish tail and AWD car will do 4 wheel drift where the whole car will slide out.

So make sure you understand other than accelerating in snow, AWD has mostly have same driving dynamics as a RWD car.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
330xi ftw

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just put winter tires on, leave the DSC on, and drive carefully. BTW, I know nothing about driving in snow. :D

·
Registered
107 Posts
330xi or if you have to get an audi quatro. I'd steer clear of lexus though, i've heard so many horror stories concerning them, including performance/traction.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
i've driven a FWD lexus as my first car. They are pretty reliable in the snow, much better than a RWD.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I put around in an AWD Lexus RX and it is phenomenal with winter tires. But as others stated you really have to be cautious...jump rabbit starts are fine if you have to merge soon or something but when it comes time to reduce that speed again ALL HELL can and WILL break loose! So remember granny driving ftw :rofl: Also the RX is a FWD bias' awd system, personally I somewhat prefer rwd bias for it's handling characteristics.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
stop racing on snow....i havent heard anybody complaining about spinning on snow. that's extreme. just drive carefully. BTW how many days of snow can you get in a year, maybe 20 out of 365. So there is not reason to change your car, unless u are tired of it...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stop racing on snow....i havent heard anybody complaining about spinning on snow. that's extreme. just drive carefully. BTW how many days of snow can you get in a year, maybe 20 out of 365. So there is not reason to change your car, unless u are tired of it...
in toronto... :str8pimpi

maybe next week till next April or longer!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
e92 335xi :excited:

Even if you did get an AWD Lexus or e46 I'd still recommend putting a good set of winter tires on. It made a HUGE improvement over all-seasons on my AWD Eclipse.

·
I've got what plants crave.
1,478 Posts
Listen, drivetrains don't create traction, they distribute power. Tires create traction all the same, whether they're on a FWD, RWD or AWD vehicle.

The only advantages an AWD drivetrain provides over the others is acceleration and a very limited improvement in general stability (and that's debatable) in adverse conditions . In no way does it help you go around corners any faster or safer, regardless of conditions. It's not your drivetrain making contact with the ground, it's the rubber the car is riding on and a car's traction is only as good it's tires.

Injudicious use of the throttle in any car in difficult conditions is going to provide undesirable results. Check the condition of your winter tires and proceed with caution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts