E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

ive been wanting to do a few events...nothing too serious but local track, and skid pan type stuff.

currently ive got Work rims on and my 19" CS rims in the garage (with crap tyres).

is there any 'track' tyre that comes in 19" which is also ok for the street.

i thought since im gonna put new tyres on the old rims, might as well kill both birds with one stone... :)

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Worth looking at

Kumho KU36 ...
Toyo Proxes R888 ...
Yokohama A038R/Advan Neova AD08 ..
Michelin Cup Sports

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what sizes would i need?

currently i got 245 F and 275 R.

that ok, or should i stick to OEM size... 225 and 255...

·
Registered
200 Posts
What events are you doing- No Limits, MC Sprint events, etc? If you are serious get some 18's and use the RE55's. Reasonable price and very quick. Advans are slightly quicker but more expensive. The 19" Advan AD08's don't comply with load ratings though so better not use on street. I have the Advan Sport- used them at the track a couple of times are they are pretty good.

If its nothing competitive then why not just use cheap tyres and wreck them? You have just as much fun if you are doing 60 or 65 in the corners...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what size are ur rims?
19x8 and 19x9.5

What events are you doing- No Limits, MC Sprint events, etc? If you are serious get some 18's and use the RE55's. Reasonable price and very quick. Advans are slightly quicker but more expensive. The 19" Advan AD08's don't comply with load ratings though so better not use on street. I have the Advan Sport- used them at the track a couple of times are they are pretty good.

If its nothing competitive then why not just use cheap tyres and wreck them? You have just as much fun if you are doing 60 or 65 in the corners...
would like to get some No Limits events as well as Speed Dome track and RAC skid pan/track..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Toyo Proxes R888 ...
Michelin Cup Sports and RE55 are R-compound pure track tyres. They are only good to drive to and from the event. They need to reach proper temperature to be effective and are very tyre pressure sensitive. They are not tyres you want and should drive daily (you will heat cycle them out of condition in no time and with a tread ware of 100 they will not last at all)!!
The KU36 has a tread wear of 200 and is a street tyre which can be used on the track. A very good compromise tyre.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Toyo Proxes R888 ...
Michelin Cup Sports and RE55 are R-compound pure track tyres. They are only good to drive to and from the event. They need to reach proper temperature to be effective and are very tyre pressure sensitive. They are not tyres you want and should drive daily (you will heat cycle them out of condition in no time and with a tread ware of 100 they will not last at all)!!
The KU36 has a tread wear of 200 and is a street tyre which can be used on the track. A very good compromise tyre.
????? theyre fine to daily drive on, just dont hit corners hard till theyve got a bit of heat in them.... theyll last from 5-10000kms of road driving.

i dont rate re55 as high as ps cups or corsas......

·
Registered
681 Posts
just called my tyre guy and he reckons he can get them in 19". KU 36..

so talking about size now..

what is best for most traction .... 235 Front and 265 rear....

or ??
Maybe they do but haven't updated their website?

The kumho website doesn't list any sizes for 19".

·
Registered
406 Posts
????? theyre fine to daily drive on, just dont hit corners hard till theyve got a bit of heat in them.... theyll last from 5-10000kms of road driving.
To suggest that a R-comp tyre is suitable for daily driving is like saying your BMW is fine to drive with a set of big 4x4 tyres. You can do it but only fools would.
A) To run at maximum gripp R-comp tyres need to reach temperatures never reached during "normal" driving. Constant very hard braking (180 to 50), constant hard cornering, constant hard accelerating = racing/motorsport. By not reaching those temperatures you will be running a tyre with less gripp than a regular street tyre. Street tyres are designed to have maximum gripp at lower or mid temperatures and loose their gripp at high temperatures.
B) R-comp tyres change their molecular structure with a number of heat cycles. After 10-20 (or even less) heat cycles the tyre looses most of its gripp at any temperature. You might still have tread left on the tyre but it will perform like crap.
There is plenty of information out there. Read up a bit on tyre technology before you give advise to others.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
To suggest that a R-comp tyre is suitable for daily driving is like saying your BMW is fine to drive with a set of big 4x4 tyres. You can do it but only fools would.
A) To run at maximum gripp R-comp tyres need to reach temperatures never reached during "normal" driving. Constant very hard braking (180 to 50), constant hard cornering, constant hard accelerating = racing/motorsport. By not reaching those temperatures you will be running a tyre with less gripp than a regular street tyre. Street tyres are designed to have maximum gripp at lower or mid temperatures and loose their gripp at high temperatures.
B) R-comp tyres change their molecular structure with a number of heat cycles. After 10-20 (or even less) heat cycles the tyre looses most of its gripp at any temperature. You might still have tread left on the tyre but it will perform like crap.
There is plenty of information out there. Read up a bit on tyre technology before you give advise to others.
yes, thats why so many road cars come out with them ex-factory.

if you daily drive like a b1tch then obviously theyre not ideal but if thats the case why look at semis at all?

the OP asked for track tyres that are ok for street use and ill the ones ive mentioned are just fine, and yes, ive personally driven on them all, on the street. Even cold theyre fine, just dont hit corners hard expecting them to grip. Easy.

·
Registered
406 Posts
yes, thats why so many road cars come out with them ex-factory.
What are you taking about! There is not a single car that comes with R-compound semi slicks ex factory.
I think you are getting confused with the term semi slick. A true semi slick is a R-compound track tyre. Some manufacturers (KU36 or Falcen RT615) call their tyres semi slicks but they are not. They are a soft street compound but not r-compound semi slicks. Definition of semi slick: a slick tyre with tread. Definition of slick: r-compound racing tyre.

if you daily drive like a b1tch then obviously theyre not ideal but if thats the case why look at semis at all?
You are again getting this wrong: As a matter of fact R-comp semi slick perform at their best when driven hard, reaching therefore operating temperature.

Even cold theyre fine, just dont hit corners hard expecting them to grip.
You are shooting yourself in the foot. How can they be fine if they have no grip when cold. And they always will be cold when driven normally on normal roads. That's exactly what I am saying.
I'm not trying to be smartass but as said earlier just read up on the topic before giving advise to others.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
What are you taking about! There is not a single car that comes with R-compound semi slicks ex factory.
I think you are getting confused with the term semi slick. A true semi slick is a R-compound track tyre. Some manufacturers (KU36 or Falcen RT615) call their tyres semi slicks but they are not. They are a soft street compound but not r-compound semi slicks. Definition of semi slick: a slick tyre with tread. Definition of slick: r-compound racing tyre..
Theres plently of Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos that come factory fitted with corsas and ps cups..... which are a true semi, which is exactly what im talking about.

You are again getting this wrong: As a matter of fact R-comp semi slick perform at their best when driven hard, reaching therefore operating temperature..
of course they perform best when hot, hence my comment on them not being needed if you drive like a girl.

You are shooting yourself in the foot. How can they be fine if they have no grip when cold. And they always will be cold when driven normally on normal roads. That's exactly what I am saying.
I'm not trying to be smartass but as said earlier just read up on the topic before giving advise to others.
Theyre fine if you drive accordingly..... exactly as you would do in the wet..... wet road, you tone it down.... same with cold tyres.

And youve just reaffirmed my point..... If you drive normally on normal roads theres no need for semis at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts