E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tesla Beater
Best M5 Ever Made!
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Why the F is my $38,000 car popping up rust spots all over the place after 9 years????

I had my old Mitsubishi Galant for 9 years too when I sold it, and the body really showed no signs of rust, sure, the undercarriage was getting pretty horrific, but the body was good.

It boggles my mind when a car that is electro-dipped at the factory and has all sorts of pvc coating under the paint will start popping rust spots that are obviously coming up through the metal and not surface rust. How can this happen?

I live in New England, sure, blame it on the winters and salt. But the cheap Mitsubishi held up fine. Why is this happening to my BMW?

The thing that really pisses me off is that it's popping up in places where the paint is perfect. Passenger side rear fender, right below the gas cap, between the fender and the rear bumper. Same side, right behind the rear passenger door. Did a more close inspection yesterday after washing her and I saw some more spots right at the bottom of the strip of metal that is beneath the trunk.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

so what do you do? sell now? Taking care of this will be BIG BUCKS if done right. F.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My E46 has rust issues at 8 years old. Both front wheel arches are bubbling up with no damage to the paint. Also on the rear wheel arches at the back. On my coupe the little bit of the back panel that comes along the bottom of the door to the front wheel arch is also rusting to [email protected] My cheap nasty Peugeot 306 was in better shape at 10 years old.... I think it's a let down on BMW's part.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My E46 has rust issues at 8 years old. Both front wheel arches are bubbling up with no damage to the paint. Also on the rear wheel arches at the back. On my coupe the little bit of the back panel that comes along the bottom of the door to the front wheel arch is also rusting to [email protected] My cheap nasty Peugeot 306 was in better shape at 10 years old.... I think it's a let down on BMW's part.
Ditto thats exactly where my rust is showing as well. A nice case study for BMW. Whatever they neglected to do in these areas is now showing the result....

·
Tesla Beater
Best M5 Ever Made!
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It pisses me off even more to find out that the rust warranty on my 2001 was only 7 years/unlimited miles, where the new bimmers get 12 years unlimited miles of rust protection coverage. It's almost like they knew that as soon as the cars hit 8-9 years, the rust would start bubbling all over the place. I wish we could get a class action lawsuit out of this. I mean I've read TONS of posts on here about people that have the exact same rust spot, passenger rear fender, near the gas cap. It really, really kills my image of BMW quality, especially knowing the efforts that went into this car to prevent rust. No previous body work, just rust in a spot that never gets touched by anything other than my sheepskin mitt.

To Poynter, you're in KY, which hardly sees as much road salt as New england.. Once it snows here, the roads are pretty much white with salt, and then it rains, giving your car a nice salt bath.

Which pisses me off even more because I have always been nuts about keeping my car clean in the winter and doing frequent stops to the DIY wash bay to power wash all the salt off. FFFFFF MEEE!!!!

·
Tesla Beater
Best M5 Ever Made!
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rant again: Not to mention, that I take care of my cars with a passion on purpose because I want to keep them forever! Dropping 5K for a F'n full paint job and rust fix is just mind boggling and you get to the point where you're rather just think about trading it in now while you can get some money for it.

F. So much time and money already into this, so many new parts, runs like a champ, 2 sets of wheels, brand new summer tires, brand new cooling system, brand new vanos seals and VCG, so many freakin brand new parts, it's sickening that I have to worry about rust. F!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have treated all the rust on mine and stopped it from spreading. This alone was a lot of sanding/grinding, treating and then a quick spray over to seal it. Looks nasty as hell but it looks better than rust I suppose. At least it wont get any worse in the mean time. I still need to get it sorted though which I got quotes for about £1200. Grind the rust out of all 4 arches, weld in new plates/build up panel, prime/spray/blend/clear coat. The little bits that come under the front door need cutting out as they are too thin to grind and replacements welded in. Prime/spray/clear. That's like half the value of my car, assuming it goes to plan and it's not worse behind the scenes than it appears. Can I justify half the value of my car on a few rust patches?

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 99 328i is rusting in many of the same areas. Right rear wheel arch ( However i think it is from a bad repair). Right front wing (fender) front of wheel arch. Not bubbling yet but noticable when car is clean. Right rail under drivers door between side skirt and front door. The most odd spot i have a small bubble in the roof next to the sunroof. Easy fix really they are mostly in non-noticable areas. To fix sand/grind down to bare clean metal, little body filler to get it to match the height surrounding paint then sand , then primer, wet sand, and final paint with a rattle can 2-3 coats wet sand between every coat and then polish. Thankfully my BMW is Black and easy to match. (I have never done this before and my friends cannot notice the repair spots. Just take your time and should not have problems again for few years. :thumbup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
My 325i has some rust spots on it too. the inside of the wheel arches, and the inside edges of the sunroof. The m3 I just bought has no rust on it what so ever.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have rust on the rear driver side, pretty much in the same exact location as you. I live in RI. there's also a spot forming under the driver door, above the side skirt.

so pissed. I'm going to get it spot treated and blended next summer. (full time student with no money = expensive projects happen in the summer)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pittsburgh Winters

I have the exact same problem on my 99 only in the rear wheel well it's buibbled out a little bit. The passenger rear well only has it on the underside. The guys at the repair shop wanted a grand to fix both sides. I'm going to do some searching, bhut are there any good DIYs for this? Ideas on a fair price?

I should just move maybe.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've had couple Honda Accords and an acura CL. everybody is probably familiar with the "honda rust" behind the rear wheels.

what prevented my Hondas from getting it was having that area rustproofed. my friend's dad ran an old-school rust proofing garage where they spray the underbody and inject goop in the seams such as the rear wheel wells. When I bought my first accord, a 1993 (in 2000) the rust had not yet started so I had him rustproof the car when i first bought it. To this day there is no rust on that car.. 17 years and over 320,000 miles.

With my BMW's, i have simply washed them regularly in the winter and never experienced any rust.

·
Tesla Beater
Best M5 Ever Made!
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had couple Honda Accords and an acura CL. everybody is probably familiar with the "honda rust" behind the rear wheels.

what prevented my Hondas from getting it was having that area rustproofed. my friend's dad ran an old-school rust proofing garage where they spray the underbody and inject goop in the seams such as the rear wheel wells. When I bought my first accord, a 1993 (in 2000) the rust had not yet started so I had him rustproof the car when i first bought it. To this day there is no rust on that car.. 17 years and over 320,000 miles.

With my BMW's, i have simply washed them regularly in the winter and never experienced any rust.
well you're definitely one of the lucky ones. I'm a big DIY'er, and have already performed some rust-maintenance on my E30 years back, it was very noticable that i did something, but it was 1000 times better than the nasty rust spot on the driver's door/fender. I think what is holding me back from attacking this is the fact that 99% of the paint is PERFECT on my car. So if I attack it and do a sorta good job, it will surely be highly noticable... F. F this, and F rust!!!!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Do you clay bar the car's clear coat?

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

(there should be a cut and paste of an illustration below. Let me know if it isnt appearing)

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=535>*******>*******>*******><TR><TD width=146>Stage 1:

Metal shavings land on the paint's surface.
</TD><TD width=379>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=146>Stage 2: Shavings start to oxidize.

</TD><TD width=379>

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=146>Stage 3: Rust forms in the paint.

</TD><TD width=379>

</TD></TR>********>********>********></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=532>*******>*******>*******><TR><TD width=156>Actual photo of rust spots from paint contamination.</TD><TD width=379>

</TD></TR>********>********>********></TABLE>

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
also, re: Hondas - I've owned several of them. A lot of the characteristic rusting has to do with how the water drains out from the upper trunk area along the perimeter grooves. The water gets in alongthe lining area and has to drain out. The rain drains out into an area by the wheel wheels. Somehow the water is not draining fully and pooling slightly, which causes the rust. This also applies to the hood area, but to a lesser degree I think.

How this affects e46's - Im not sure. But I would probe into the drainage system which ends up near the wheel wells. I don't doubt a similar water drainage system is used on BMWs too.

·
Tesla Beater
Best M5 Ever Made!
12,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
based on the condition of the rest of my paint, I am still surprised that it is bubbling with rust in some spots. I have never clay barred, but really really want to and think it will help for the future. I consistenly hand wash her, no automatic washes, or car washes with the brush laying in the grit and grime. I apply Klasse All in One as well as the High Gloss Sealant Glaze at least twice a year, and recently, when I wash, I've been adding a capful of Klasse to the bucket and the water beadage and shine that comes out is ridiculous. There is no spider webbing in my paint when viewed in a high light area, it is very glossy. I will see if i can take some close up pics of the rust spots so you can see how good the surrounding paint really is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.