E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 806 Posts

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is not how to install aux input cable rather how to make it.
Seriously, I don't want to spend about $50 for a stinking cable.
I'm in Canada and usually BMW parts are more expensive than US.

Let's get started.

1. This was male on both end and I just cut one side.

2. Close up

3. Some people might wonder what this is.

This is a cable that I found from my old computer I was about to throw away. This pin connects to motherboard for power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led, etc.
Do not cut the other end of this cable, just pull the pins out. It will help you to solder it. :)

4. See? It is so much easier to connect them to solder it.

5. 3 small and 1 big heat shrink tube.

6. Ok. It is done.

7. From HU, pin 8,9(left,right or right,left don't care too much. :D ) and pin 4(ground) need to be connected.
You will be surprised how well it fits. :D

8. Finished

Total cost $0. Because I found everthing I need at home and it works great. :D

· Premium Member
1,393 Posts
HAHA thats AWESOME man! I was a sucker and paid for the BMW cable :banghead: But if i knew about this, i would have tried it myself. Thumbsup for the DIY with pictures and all. :thumbsup:

Any other cool things we can DIY? I love doing things myself but i have run out of ideas!

:bow:

· Registered
984 Posts
would this work with the HU's without mode button?

thanks!
No it wouldn't you would need a 09/03 build for aux in to work. Some 09/02 builds have the mode button but aux in still will not work for those models, only the BMW Ipod adaptor kit.

Jared

· Registered
2,826 Posts
wow that's awesome..
my monster FM transmitter died on me recently...
so i'm thinking about going the aux input route..
i was going to get an aux input in the beginning but then i decided that i should try out an fm transmitter and see how that goes...
welll.... if monster doesn't replace mine.. i'm definitely getting an aux input.

· Registered
80 Posts
Seriously though, for most people that dont have the knowledge or patience to do that, $39.97 (what I paid at the dealer) is money well spent.

But props for putting that together on your own and knowing how to do that.

· Registered
4 Posts
this is awesome but how do i get the HU out?

Let me just start by saying White, this was awesome. Great call, I cant believe my 2003 330ci didnt come with an AUX input already! I rented a freaking Dodge Neon that had it.

Anywhos, I was just wondering if you could help me get my HU out? I dont want to break anything (my cars still under waranty) and I want it to all fit back afterward.

Thanks! And where did you run your wire down through?

1 - 20 of 806 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.