E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Les Schwab $112 to mount and balance tires is way too much

47K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  vandyboy 
#1 ·
I guess I should have asked how much it costs before letting them do the job. I won't be going back there again. I was expecting it to cost about $50. Oh well my car now has style 68 wheels and new tires so I'm happy with that. How much did you guys pay?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#6 ·
$112 may sound high, but I don't really think it's that much. $25 to remove a wheel, remove tire, replace tire and valve stem, balance and remount...done well on an expensive machine? If you used tire rack's 'drop ship' their authorized shops might do it for a lower fixed price. SolidJake undoubtedly has 'guys' who give him a little break...$44 seems crazy low. I think I might have paid $80 cash last time I paid for it.

Shop around, but it's not just price you're looking for...you want a good balance and that means some combination of a good machine and a good tech...and it might seem easy, but it's so critical it be done right, you don't want to go cheap and save $5/wheel only to have to go to another shop to have it done again.

Seems a little high to me, but not crazy high...just saying.

#8 ·
$60-80 cash for 4 wheels is what I usually pay (dismount old, mount new, balance). Most recent one was included with tire purchase, but the shop was owned by my friend's family so that doesn't count.

$25-$30/wheel is pretty standard though at any good shop. I had to search around a bit for better prices.

#12 · (Edited)
I didn't buy tires from them. I bought the tires off of Craigslist and the wheels did not have tires on them.
The Les Schwab over here refused to mount tires for me that I was planning to buy from tire rack. They didn't carry the tires I wanted. The manager sited liability issues saying they could only stand behind the tires if I bought them there.

#15 ·
Typically $20-25 per wheel/tire.
So 4 wheels/tires + tax $112 seems like you are in the ball park

You might call around other shops in your area to see what they charge.
If you find one to do 4 tires for $50 I'd be shocked.
As long as they are well balanced, and they did not ruin your wheels, smile and be happy :)

#21 ·
I paid $100 to get my mounted mainly because the place had good reviews and guaranteed they wouldn't scratch my brand new wheels...well worth it.

#23 ·
I just checked Tire Rack's list of recommended installers in my area (Nashville.) The mount/balance prices ranged from $11.99 to $25.00 per tire, with the majority of shops on the lower end of the range. Only 6 of the shops out of 20 were locally owned.

I have two excellent and ridiculously cheap local installers in my small town. A Hispanic garage less than a mile from my home charges $5.00 per tire and they have a brand new balancing machine. We have a very good Wal-Mart Tire Center here that charges the same price. Both garages spend time with you to understand what you want done, they always check the tire and for the right air pressures on the car's door jamb while with you and are careful with your wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.