BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. found a great deal for a Nikon D70.. and was wondering how good/useful is an 18-55mm lens that comes with it?

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
its not that great... to be straight up with you. if you like that focal range look into a tamron 17-50 f2.8.. for the price you can find that lens it cannot be beat

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's one hell of a deal for a Nikon D70. I got mine last summer for over 3 times that amount. :( You should also look into getting a 50mm 1.8 lens ($80-100 used) if you want some nicer portrait or focused pics. What kind of pictures are you looking to take?

You can check my flickr if you to see what Nikon d70 + 50mm 1.8 lens looks like. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Am i the only one who loved the 18-55? yeah you have to upgrade eventually, but thats a helluva lens for what they cost. They are razor sharp, ultra fast focus, have VR, wide to mid range zoom, yeah its not a 2.8, but it gets the job done, and cheap 2.8's will cost you 4 or 5 times as much as what you can get an 18-55 for. I'd recommend the 18-55 as a starter lens every time.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
When I had it, the 18-55mm was hit and miss for me. Maybe because it was my first time shooting with a DSLR. I know there shouldn't be a huge difference from shooting a SLR, but I didn't like the results I got with my 18-55mm. Oh and plus it wasn't useful for me cause I shoot a lot of low light and without a flash. You can't shoot below f/4.5 However I did shoot with the 18-105mm. I liked that over the 18-55mm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts