E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really happy with my LED tail lights and turn signals in the back. I don't know why BMW didn't go with LEDs in the front as well.

Has anyone done a swap to LED front turn signals/parking lights? I'd imagine the bad bulb signal would be activated with a simple swap, is there a way around that?

Thanks.
 

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
Joined
·
1,970 Posts
96TL said:
Why not? The bulb number is 7440.

I have the LEDs bulbs on my 04. I got them from www.superbrightleds.com along with 2 of their load equalizers. I got mine in amber so that they match the rest of the LEDs. The color is eact but I wish there were a few more LEDs. The problem is that a 7440 bulb has a much smaller diamater than an 1156 bulb so they can't put as many LEDs because the bulb won't fit into the headlight socket. 7440 bulbs have 9 LEDs ve. 1156 which have 24. Thats a big difference in light output. They are visible in the day though so don't sweat it. I wasn't able to get any good pics of them becaus my camera sucks at picking up LED light for some reason.

BTW, why would BMW put LEDs all over the car EXCEPT in the front? Weirdos.
would you mind posting closer pics of your front LED's? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
some CHP cruisers here in Norcal have a full LED headlights, I saw it in action and its bright as hell
 

·
Tinfoilhatatarian
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Thanks for the link to the led's....

CALL ME STUPID..But I cant find the 7440's on the site, please link for me thanks!

Oh and do I need the "load equalizers"..what do they do?

And how hard is the install...just like replacing a bulb?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
EDADOBO said:
some CHP cruisers here in Norcal have a full LED headlights, I saw it in action and its bright as hell

96TL,
i love your car. i used to have 02 white 330ci with blk interior. loved that car.

-RAJA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hamann330ci said:
I'm running size 1156 amber LEDs in the front/rears and sides.
Did you install the Load Levelers?

If not, do you get the check light message?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
Sorry, that site doesnt sell 7440's, only 7443's. Those are the ones I bought and they worked fine. Go HERE if you want to get actual 7440's. My 7443's work fine but I don't want any of you guys to have any problems and blame me. LoL. :thumbup:

Nice explanation greeps. BTW, the crimp-on's come with electrical grease smeared inside them to prevent corrosion. The drivers side was a joke to installl but the passenger side must've been the hardest bulb I ever replaced in my life. It seems like BMW expects you to remove the complete headlight to swap the corner bulb because there is no room to squeeze your hand in there. I loosened the windshield washer fluid resorvoir and my hand still didn't fit in there. Eventually I got it but my hand was all chewed up afterwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
96TL said:
Sorry, that site doesnt sell 7440's, only 7443's. Those are the ones I bought and they worked fine. Go HERE if you want to get actual 7440's. My 7443's work fine but I don't want any of you guys to have any problems and blame me. LoL. :thumbup:

Nice explanation greeps. BTW, the crimp-on's come with electrical grease smeared inside them to prevent corrosion. The drivers side was a joke to installl but the passenger side must've been the hardest bulb I ever replaced in my life. It seems like BMW expects you to remove the complete headlight to swap the corner bulb because there is no room to squeeze your hand in there. I loosened the windshield washer fluid resorvoir and my hand still didn't fit in there. Eventually I got it but my hand was all chewed up afterwards.
Thanks. Nice notes on the installation.

Since you've seen the socket and the amount of room, what's the biggest array that will fit? Would you go with the 7443's again or would you opt for something else? Were the 7443's bright enough to see in daylight for oncoming traffic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
7440/7443 are the only bulbs that will fit in there unfortunately. 1156/1157 or 3157/3157 bulbs are way too big. :(

They are definitely visible during the day. I'm not sure how they look from oncoming traffic though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
hamann330ci said:
size 1156. Don't get LEDS for the brake light. It will show like a red dot.. think about it.
Oh...okay. I'll pass on the brake lights. Thanx! :thumbup:

Also, what colour LED should I get for the rear turn signal? Amber or Hyperwhite?? Will it be bright?? I purchased LEDs for my sidemarkers & they weren't bright at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Mikey-Fresh said:
Oh...okay. I'll pass on the brake lights. Thanx! :thumbup:

Also, what colour LED should I get for the rear turn signal? Amber or Hyperwhite?? Will it be bright?? I purchased LEDs for my sidemarkers & they weren't bright at all.
Well, assuming that you have clears... either SuperWhite or Amber would do fine. Members on this forum said that the Superwhites look bright. I'm running amber and they look good.

Where'd you purchased the LEDs? I got the 4 LED version from autolumination.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
hamann330ci said:
Well, assuming that you have clears... either SuperWhite or Amber would do fine. Members on this forum said that the Superwhites look bright. I'm running amber and they look good.

Where'd you purchased the LEDs? I got the 4 LED version from autolumination.com
I don't have clears on my car. I just want the "digital" look for my turn signals & I suppose that LEDs will be as close as I get. I got my sidemarkers from this retailer on eBay for $9 shipped. They're okay, I don't have them on my car right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Mikey-Fresh said:
I don't have clears on my car. I just want the "digital" look for my turn signals & I suppose that LEDs will be as close as I get. I got my sidemarkers from this retailer on eBay for $9 shipped. They're okay, I don't have them on my car right now.
Stick w/ what you got right now since you don't have any clears. Keep in mind that you will still have that circle dot look if you go w/ LEDs. I don't know how digital you want to go though.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top