Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Nah- Keep the halogen light boxes

Votes: 9 19.6%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - SO after having the dealer complain to me about the light boxes, and the hassles of the light boxes, and the fibres for the lights (they sometimes get brown & uneven light)I thought I'd try LED's in my angel eyes-

Here are the results- What do you think? Are the LED's too blue, or are the DDE's just too yellow- I think the LED's are slightly brighter- (They are 9,600 mcd white LED's)

I think the look of the car under the hood will be neater with the LED's (i.e. without the light boxes)- and they should last longer-

Should I change 'em?

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nice, i actually like the LED ones more. they look good! How does one power the led's? Maybe i'll try this out instead of the halogen bulbs i'm using in my DDE's.

BTW, what kind of hassles did your dealer give u?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Banana_Bread said:
Nice, i actually like the LED ones more. they look good! How does one power the led's? Maybe i'll try this out instead of the halogen bulbs i'm using in my DDE's.

BTW, what kind of hassles did your dealer give u?
The dealer that I went to was a real dick- he said they would not do any work to my lights (one Xenon was flickering) with the "Dangerous aftermarket lights! Risk of Fire!" Their words.

The LED's are 4 x 9,600mcd white LED's in series hooked up directly to 12v. Their nominal voltage is 3.6v, so I could make them a bit brighter by hooking up a series / parallel with a resistor. I may try them like this first. When you see just them, without the yellow halogen they look pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
thxguy said:

The dealer that I went to was a real dick- he said they would not do any work to my lights (one Xenon was flickering) with the "Dangerous aftermarket lights! Risk of Fire!" Their words.

The LED's are 4 x 9,600mcd white LED's in series hooked up directly to 12v. Their nominal voltage is 3.6v, so I could make them a bit brighter by hooking up a series / parallel with a resistor. I may try them like this first. When you see just them, without the yellow halogen they look pretty good.
I must admit they do look pretty good while alone. Are they visible during the day? The my biggest question. I do too think it would make installs a hell of a lot easier and the lok would be super clean...

Whats the cost of those leds? and did you get them from Radio Shack??

TIA

John V

·
Site Sponsor
18,523 Posts
If you've never "wired" things before, I can tell you right now, LEDs are not easier.

They can be brighter, whiter, different colors, etc. But they are not easier. I like the look of those, but I'm going to ask - $? for the 9600mcd should be around 8-15 EACH X 8 = you can see the cost rises quickly.

If you guys really want the LED-look, we'll go and source the brightest LEDs imaginable, but again, you have to play with resistor ratings, wiring, and whatnot. But, the "customer is always right" remains our motto.

Demon Eyes originated as an LED solution with 2000mcd ratings. They looked good, but were invisible during the day. This is why we moved to the Daylight Demon Eyes with Fiber Optics.

This is a VERY good discussion.

I did a synopsis for what I thought were the key points between the two "solutions":
Demon Eyes - LED
+
Looks clean at night
Cheaper
Easier to ROUTE but not install
Easier to source (LEDs are everywhere)
Can be had in a variety of colors, resistor settings whatnot.

-
What happens if ONE LED burns out? Oops, have to redo the whole thing.
Wiring, soldering this, crimp that, test here, serial wiring that.
Want to make it brighter than it is - redo the WHOLE install

DDE - Fiber Optic
+
Easy to upgrade - want brighter light, different ring, whatever.
Want a different color? Just change one part
Brighter during the day
Brighter at night
NO WIRING! NO SOLDERING! NO RESISTORS.

-
Must drill routing location
May burn if installed incorrectly - we will be addressing this shortly

Other factors:
such as requiring an external light source means that it's both good and bad - depending on how you see it.

BTW - you cannot burn the fiber's outer shell, it's coated with teflon.

BOTTOM LINE:
We sell both solutions. But I will guarantee that NOBODY has the same level of quality ring that we do.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
johnv325ci said:

I must admit they do look pretty good while alone. Are they visible during the day? The my biggest question. I do too think it would make installs a hell of a lot easier and the lok would be super clean...

Whats the cost of those leds? and did you get them from Radio Shack??

TIA

John V
I hope that they will be good in daylight as well- I'll check tomorrow.

To answer your questions.. and sp330i's PM questions
I got the LED's off E-bay from a seller [email protected] He had a good buy it now price- Like $23 for 10 LED's- Shipped- That was less than most other places. (Item # 3101639632 )

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys!

·
Registered
646 Posts
umnitza said:
If you've never "wired" things before, I can tell you right now, LEDs are not easier.

They can be brighter, whiter, different colors, etc. But they are not easier. I like the look of those, but I'm going to ask - $? for the 9600mcd should be around 8-15 EACH X 8 = you can see the cost rises quickly.

That sounds a bit high, this site:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prcs.htm

Has 10000mcd led's for about 1.68 a pop. I'm going to get some of these and try it out and see the difference.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
umnitza said:

BOTTOM LINE:
We sell both solutions. But I will guarantee that NOBODY has the same level of quality ring that we do.
Actually the cost for these 9,600 mcd LED's was $2.30 each-

and yes, I do like your rings- BOTH sets of eyes in these photos are JP's Demon Eyes (Halogen's are Gen III, and LED's are Gen IV) But the Gen IV that are in this photo are DIMMER than the GEn III's when hooked up to the same light source:tsk: :dunno: Jim is sending me another set to test- He thinks it may be a production issue-

Here is a shot of the same rings, connected to the same DDE light boxes- the colour looks whites, 'cause the meter in the camera shot it differently- but they are quite yellow (which is not that bad!)

Attachments

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
so the LED's dont have any light boxes? they look a lot nicer than the yellow halogen ones

-brendan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got a LED keychain light. It said on the box that the bulb would last 11 years - being on continuously (not the battery of course). I wonder if this is true for most LED's?

·
Sofa-king-what
2,019 Posts
LEDvsHALO

as I said in other thread.... i choose the led-way....(with home made rings....:eek: )....

they looks good... but... i've to try them with genIV.....

but 4 my experience i'll amdit that:

leds are cheaper....and you have not to put anything else in the engine compartement....But ..be sure to use the appropriate resistor....
low resistors produce more brightness, but the risk of blowin up all the leds is high......

they're almost invisible in daylight (okokok my homemade rings sux...)

and MOST IMPORTANT..... if you burn a light in an halo system...you only change the bulb..... (open hood-open box-change it-close...and go..)
if you burn a led.... :banghead: :banghead: you must remove the entire beam....remove the previously glued led...and so on......

i've a key chain light (w/led)..but it works with 4.5V i suppose.... and there are no resistor in it.....it's different than wire 8 leds to (in my case position light) a 12 V source...

BTW...when my gen IV will be here.. i'll show you the results... (my leds are 9600 Mcd)

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,622 Posts
thxguy the LED looks good, if it looks like that in day light then I will definitly want LED. Please post more pics and info. You might be able to start a new trend :D

TheRiddle cant wait to see you try it with the LED... how do you know what resistor to use so it don't blow the LED.

Post pics too....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts