BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Please vote if you are interested in this kit! (Trying to gauge product desirability)

• Very interested

Votes: 35 41.2%
  • Somewhat interested

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Not interested

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I think it's ricey

Votes: 32 37.6%
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know that a previous thread was created showing how the underbody led puddle lamps look. I was very interested in making a kit available so that it would be plug and play, but unfortunately that thread turned into mush.

Here is what I'd like to know - how many of you would be interested in this? I'm putting together a high quality kit to be made available possibly early next week. It will consist of 5 leds mounted in a unit, and 5 units on each side of the car. I can do any color you guys would like, but would recommend sticking to bright white, blue - purple, orange - yellow or red. The LED's would fade on when you unlock your car and fade off when you lock. In addition there would be a switch to turn them on for purely show purposes. I'm also looking into a DIY whereby when you pull the interior door handle it turns on.

Let me know if you're interested and the target price for this kit will be about 250, depending on what options are chosen - either chrome finish or brushed aluminum and what color LED (bright white and blue - purple are more expensive). The housing for the LEDs will be made of billet aluminum and glass.

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
thats a lot. id pay around 100... but 250 for some LEDs? yeah right.......
and what does it matter if the leds are made of aluminum or chrome.... we wont see it.

·
devGOD
2,557 Posts
that would require wire tapping and possible drilling into the uncarriage or body. if you want to get the lights to come on when you open the door.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The price is so high currently because I'm having this machined as a short-order run of 100 units, which is enough to make 10 kits. The more people interested the lower the per unit cost becomes. I'd like to see how many people are initially interested with a cut off date of early next week. I understand that the units are not seen normally, but personally I'd like to know that I'm putting out the best product for our cars. As I've said before the housing will be made of billeted aluminum, which can also be had as chrome. Believe me, there is a reason that so many more people are interested in this rather than underbody neon tube lights. It's much more elegant and classy rather than ricey and cheesy. I will be posting pictures soon, but the links below give an accurate view of how they will look.

Also for those who are saying that the price is unfair, please consider it is not a matter of simply purchasing LED's and sticking them onto the sideskirts. They must be properly housed, which in itself is expensive. I'm trying to provide as simple an install as possible with OEM quality fit and finish and integration.

Brabus:
http://www.brabus.de/news/news17e.htm

Algernon:
http://www.algernon-div.com/led/cutte-reng.htm

·
Registered
15 Posts
very intersted :woot: ....but would love to see some pics... can you adust the light projection? how does your kit project? how does it wire up? web site?? ... keep us posted :thumbup:

·
Registered
161 Posts
i would be interested but for 250 it would have to be a very easy install and i dont wanna see the light housings. They have to be hidden from sight. thats my .02 but im very interested

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ya thatd be sick but i dunno id want like some clip on LED's not drillin into my sideskirts thatd be to much for an underbody light show.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually, $250 might be a decent price (although being slightly lower helps!) considering that the Algernon one costs 40,950 yen or about $370 and assuming that the build and finish quality is the same.

In any case, please do post the pics as soon as you can!

1 - 20 of 280 Posts