BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I recently got my first bimmer, a 2003 325Ci. It's all stock, extremely clean! I'm so happy with it (and I came from a '93 Saturn - major upgrade).

I am pretty much happy with the car looking stock, it's beautiful, but I really want to change the tail lights to the LED tails. I know there are several dealers which sell them for around $175, but want to get OEM.

I called the stealership just to get a quote on having them put in the updated '04 coupe tails in my '03 coupe, and they told me it simply wasn't possible. I was told the light module (I think) was different, and it couldn't be done. They said they wouldn't sell me the lights.

My question is how do I go about getting OEM LED tails in my car? If bought, and I installed them, would I need to have the car's LCM flashed? As far as I understand, this is a software fix done at the dealer (no physical parts changed or anything) - how much does this cost? The dealer wouldn't even get into the possibility of me buying OEM tails from somewhere else and having the LCM flashed.

I don't want to buy the non-OEM cheaper tails because (in my opinion) some look like a really cheap imitation of the BMW OEM tails, and some people have stories of receiving poor-quality LED lights, some individual bulbs burning out, etc... I'd just like to stick with the OEM lights for quality and long-term peace of mind. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I bought the Eagle Eye LED tails going on a year ago and they look great, havn't ever had a single problem with them, all the bulbs work great and they look stock. I've gotten a decent amount of compliments on them but it's up to you. If you can get something that looks like and works like it's OEM for a hell of a lot cheaper and without all the headache then why would you want OEM? That's like buying a set of OEM Xenon projectors to upgrade your halogens. The P46 projectors are roughly $2,000 cheaper (I was quoted almost $1,200 for each headlight), come with angel eyes (OEM's for our years don't) and are DOT approved for quality/safety. Your call and your money but somethings just arn't worth it if they didn't come stock.

Now to answer your question as to what needs to be done in order for OEM LED tails to work, it should be the same if you were adding OEM Xenons, you would need a reflash. I was quoted around $125 for a reflash for my xenons but thanks to DDM for their resisters, never had to go in and everything works great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I am not opposed to buying cheaper LED tail lights, I just want them to look OEM and to not have any bulb failure issues (obviously).

So your install didn't require any flashing, and you don't have any error lights on the dash? Totally plug-and-play?

·
ninja editor
2,210 Posts
Thanks! I am not opposed to buying cheaper LED tail lights, I just want them to look OEM and to not have any bulb failure issues (obviously).

So your install didn't require any flashing, and you don't have any error lights on the dash? Totally plug-and-play?
I'm going to start by saying, I have eagle eye tails, and I love them and haven't had a single issue with them- my dash lights are off.

It seems, however, that our cars get the dash lights for tails over nothing, i haven't had such issue, I've seen more cases in sedans and ms42 2.8 and 2.5 coupes.
If you want to go to OE LED tails, it's possible, just bolt them on, embrace the dashlight and the lightshow you'll see when they come on. They're more expensive, but they do look different- not much different, but as an owner of eagle eye tails, i can always tell.
So you'll permanently have a dash light for your tail lights, but they'll work, and flash many colors when starting. But, there's a chancce you'll get your dash lights stuck on anyways.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

IMO these look OEM, only fanatics can tell the difference, obviously the OEM tails look different. I've never seen a set up close but I can tell when someone has OEM or Eagle Eye's. Like I said they look like they could've come stock with the car and those who don't know otherwise have thought so. I havn't had a single bulb fail or any warning lights on the dash. Again, I havn't had these for a long period of time, it'll be a year in April but they've been through lots of heat and lots of cold and not one issue yet. I still love the way they look and would never go back to non LED's. Yes, mine were totally plug and play, I didn't make a DIY but if it's your first time playing around on your bimmer, I would say it would take a half hour or so, if you're really anal and careful like me maybe longer just because I like to pull everything apart and figure out how it all works. Anyway, GL with whatever you end up doing, from my personal experience I would completely recommend this product.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I've directly compared my Eagle Eye LED tails with a friend's retrofitted OEM LED tails. They look identical, except mine were half the cost and don't create a retarded light show on startup or light up the dash bulbs.

$200 for Eagle Eye LED's >>>>>>> $350 for OEM LED's + $120 for LCM reflash

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
eagle eye leds from jlevi.................then go to the dealer, show the guy that wouldnt sell them to you,tell him what you paid, and tell him to pound salt

·
Apple Jews
9,679 Posts
I have Eagle Eyes from jlevi also. Excellent Quality and fitment.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Eagle Eyes work very well. No issues for me so far $165 shipped from Umnitza in two days! :)

But if OEM is what you are set on, it can be done. Lots of people on here have done it before Eagle Eyes became such a economical option. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just ordered OEM tails via Tischer, but haven't recieved them yet.

Reason I bought OEM vs aftermarket was due to the outer LED ring illuminating during hard braking. I'm not sure if aftermarket tails did this, which is I'm willing to pay the price + reflashing. This minor detail, in my opinion makes, OEM much more worth while than the counter part.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I just ordered OEM tails via Tischer, but haven't recieved them yet.

Reason I bought OEM vs aftermarket was due to the outer LED ring illuminating during hard braking. I'm not sure if aftermarket tails did this, which is I'm willing to pay the price + reflashing. This minor detail, in my opinion makes, OEM much more worth while than the counter part.
meh i dont think that small feature is worth a couple hundred bucks more :dunno:

and also i believe theres a DIY to do this on the EE's?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Smoked Eagle Eye from JLlevi. No bulb out signal w/ the help of resistor that came with the package. I just dont see why you have to go through all the shits of LCM flash thing if you had a better and more economical alternative. Save your money I would say, coz once you started modding, there would be more to come. Its like a virus, no antibiotic can stop it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts