E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Obey my dog
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, i got all the parts (including the LCM since my car is old). Installed everything and the lights are not acting properly. Anyone else have an issue? Here are the symptoms:

1. Dot by mileage (this one is expected)
2. Shows rear tail lights out (expected)
3. Front turn signals are NOT on when head lights on
4. Fog lights AND high beams are able to turn on at same time
5. Turns signals and emergency signal works properly
6. Brake lights work properly
7. When headlights on, tail lights are NOT on (except when braking)

When I get the LCM flashed will this correct these issues? Particularly # 3, 4, and 7. Or is something else wrong? I originally thought I got the wrong LCM but after much double checking I'm pretty sure I have the correct one.

·
needs a new sig...
4,508 Posts
1 and 2 are expected as you said, 3 seems good to me i have wated that for ever, 4 has always been like that, 7 is a problem, i would say have the delaer flash it and then see what happens, it all seems that it is most likely a software issue

·
Obey my dog
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply :) for me, i wasn't able to have my fogs and my high beams on at the same time before. it would be one or the other. if my fogs were on and then i flashed my high beams, the fogs would turn off. maybe that was just how the old LCMs functioned :dunno: i guess 7 really is my only issue. i wonder if the other people that did this even tried it at night like me to know...

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need to get the programming done by your local dealer. They'll probably charge you about 1/2 hour labour. This always has to be done after the retro-fit led's have been installed. If you're car is pre march 02 you'll also need to install a new light switch on dash. Make sure you've installed the wires to the rear lights correctly (they should be labelled 'left' and 'right'). Coz if they're in wrong then the dealer will charge you more money to rectify when you go in for programming.

Good luck. :thumbup:

WarSong said:
Thanks for your reply :) for me, i wasn't able to have my fogs and my high beams on at the same time before. it would be one or the other. if my fogs were on and then i flashed my high beams, the fogs would turn off. maybe that was just how the old LCMs functioned :dunno: i guess 7 really is my only issue. i wonder if the other people that did this even tried it at night like me to know...

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
43,113 Posts
I had problem #2 and #7 only, once you get your LCM reprogrammed everything should work :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
paul emmerson said:
You need to get the programming done by your local dealer. They'll probably charge you about 1/2 hour labour. This always has to be done after the retro-fit led's have been installed. If you're car is pre march 02 you'll also need to install a new light switch on dash. Make sure you've installed the wires to the rear lights correctly (they should be labelled 'left' and 'right'). Coz if they're in wrong then the dealer will charge you more money to rectify when you go in for programming.

Good luck. :thumbup:
i was reading your post above and in it you state that the man needs to install a new light switch if his car is pre march 02.

i read his post and he said that he installed a new LCM. why then a new light switch. would the LCM be the new light switch? also i understand it if your car has a built date before 10/01 you need the LCM.

please correct me here, because i am going to purchase the taillights too and if i need a LCM that's just to much money for the total upgrade.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, the light control module (LCM) is contained within the light switch. Just that here in the UK the dealers class it as a switch and not LCM. Best if you call your dealer and give them your vin number so they can find out if new switch/lcm is needed. March 02 was the changeover date that I heard, but my source may have been incorrect. Your vin number will tell all.

Thanks
Paul

johndddd said:
i was reading your post above and in it you state that the man needs to install a new light switch if his car is pre march 02.

i read his post and he said that he installed a new LCM. why then a new light switch. would the LCM be the new light switch? also i understand it if your car has a built date before 10/01 you need the LCM.

please correct me here, because i am going to purchase the taillights too and if i need a LCM that's just to much money for the total upgrade.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know for sure. The reprogram may fix the problems for you, but it sounds to me like you might have the wrong LCM for your car. Have you called and asked what the part number for the LCM for your VIN would be and is it the same as the LCM you have? I've said this before but currently BMW makes 5 LCM's for the US market, if you call Pacific give them your VIN number they will reference the part number that is in your car to 5-6 other numbers till they reach the current one (which will work with LED's) That is the LCM you need. :dunno:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lcm

clarkrw3 said:
I don't know for sure. The reprogram may fix the problems for you, but it sounds to me like you might have the wrong LCM for your car. Have you called and asked what the part number for the LCM for your VIN would be and is it the same as the LCM you have? I've said this before but currently BMW makes 5 LCM's for the US market, if you call Pacific give them your VIN number they will reference the part number that is in your car to 5-6 other numbers till they reach the current one (which will work with LED's) That is the LCM you need. :dunno:
It's important to make sure it's the right one, because once the dealer programs it, you can't return it. Your car's mileage and VIN are stored in it permanently.

·
Obey my dog
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks for everyones' reponses. Well i definetly have xenons and i definetly don't have the rain sensor so i bought LCM part #: 61-31-6-925-070. This is correct right? As long as thats right, it sounds like reprogramming will fix my issues. I'll try to get it done this week.

clarkrw3 > what dealer did you take your car to?

edit: i did give pacific my existing LCM's part # and asked for the correct new version but the guy i was talking to couldn't figure it out :hmm:

·
Registered
532 Posts
They can be pretty dense :dunno: you usually will have to give them your VIN...then say I need a new Light Control Modual (yes I mean the light switch)....they will say..that is part blah blah blah and than say ok well that is out of production hmmmm well it references this number....but that's out of production as we...hmmm well (this goes on for 4-5 numbers till they get it right) :idea: this is the current number for the currently availible LCM for your VIN . :thumbup: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: like I said....not the brightest!!!
I also talked to Pacific. I know all this because I ordered the wrong one first going off of part numbers I found on e46, from Center. Then I ordered the right one from Pacific by going threw the above conversation.

WarSong said:
thanks for everyones' reponses. Well i definetly have xenons and i definetly don't have the rain sensor so i bought LCM part #: 61-31-6-925-070. This is correct right? As long as thats right, it sounds like reprogramming will fix my issues. I'll try to get it done this week.

clarkrw3 > what dealer did you take your car to?

edit: i did give pacific my existing LCM's part # and asked for the correct new version but the guy i was talking to couldn't figure it out :hmm:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts