BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondered if anyone had managed to repair a factory fitted LED rear lamp cluster .. mine has 4 leds in a row out, and I think there might be a crack in the circuit board they're attached to, on my 2005 320d Coupe.

Seems to be a sealed unit, just wondered if anyone had managed to open one up and fix the LEDS... they might have blown, not sure.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a set of eagle eye tails that had a few LED's burn out. I pulled the board out and used a meter set to diode check and found three bad LED's. Went to radio shack, picked up replacements for 2 bucks each, soldered them in and everything works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes they are the standard ones, interestingly there's no failed lamp warning on the dash and it has just passed its MOT with four leds out, it just doesnt look perfect!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I was thinking that those who want to go back to bulb or will buy a new set of LED tails can sell the side that still works properly (if they have one that does). For example, on mine, almost all of the indicator LEDs on the passenger side are blown but all of the LEDs on the driver's side are in perfect shape. If someone out there was willing to sell me their passenger side, that would be awesome. So on and so on.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was thinking that those who want to go back to bulb or will buy a new set of LED tails can sell the side that still works properly (if they have one that does). For example, on mine, almost all of the indicator LEDs on the passenger side are blown but all of the LEDs on the driver's side are in perfect shape. If someone out there was willing to sell me their passenger side, that would be awesome. So on and so on.....
Dude that would be a great idea let me knw if u really wanna do that cuz I'll buy ur drive side tail lamp cuz iv got like 4 blown led on that side

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
I have a set of eagle eye tails that had a few LED's burn out. I pulled the board out and used a meter set to diode check and found three bad LED's. Went to radio shack, picked up replacements for 2 bucks each, soldered them in and everything works fine.
*off T* How did you go about opening up the EEs without damaging them? Did they go back together without causing leaks?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Is the answer no then on repairing the LEDs? I got a few burnt since I've had water inside the taillight housing for a month which turned into ice as the weather changed.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I have a fully working LED tail light motherboard I will be glad to sell you. PM me. It is for the passenger side.

I've separated the tail light before. It's fairly easy.

Get a heat gun (or hair dryer) and warm up the edges. Get an exacto knife (or a razor, just something insanely sharp), and work your way around the edge between the plastic housing and the clear plastic tail lamp part.

Eventually you will find a place in which it will separate cleanly. Once you find it, very slowly work the sharp edge around the tail light to separate the housing.

Once separated, the inside can be removed easily. It's just held in by clips. The motherboard can be unscrewed from the back side, held in by a few Torx screws.

To get it back together, get some very strong clear RTV sealant, line up the tail light, and clamp it together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts