E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the LED DDE with blue rings!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StreetTrixE4six said:
those look good, i want more a hyper white color. what would i need for that?
If you want hyper white, you need a white ring. I am using white LEDs and blue rings. But I like blue better :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thais0n said:
Looks tight!! But dont you guys get in trouble for having blue lights on your car????
I think the ring is not really visible as blue with you Xenon on, coz the Xenon is so bright white in color.

But it looks so cool at dawn or dusk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hamann330ci said:
are those the HID or blue rings? Gen IV or V rings?
I think different between the Gen IV or Gen V is the light source, and both of them is using light box.

For my installation, I use LED's instead of light box, it's not as bright, but the installation is simple. Just connecting wires instead of having fiber optics and light boxes.

I have white LEDs with blue ring.

·
Registered
227 Posts
where did you purchase everything through and what was the cost. I think not having the light boxes would be cleaner and better (not having the hot boxes)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blatt22 said:
where did you purchase everything through and what was the cost. I think not having the light boxes would be cleaner and better (not having the hot boxes)
Blue Rings from umnitza.com - $55
White LEDs from superbrightleds.com - $20
resistors from Radio Shack - $2
cables from Radio Shack - $5
Some heat shrunk tube - $2.5

So altogether $84.5 and about 2 hours installation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
digitalgm said:
WHat happened to the headlight washer on the passanger side?

AdamR
I just forgot the put that back on when I took the photo!

·
Banned
1,223 Posts
Looks Excellent, I'm in the middle of completeing my LED DDE's as well. What ohm resistors did you end up using and what wattage? I will be using 1/2 watt, 330ohm resistors to each LED. Let me know.

BTW, to clear up isues I saw with using LED's before.

-They do not burn out easily unless you use too much current through them. (need resistors).

-They are NOT difficult to solder.

-You DO NOT need to color match them at all. If you have the same reistance at each LED, they will emit the same light intensity

-They are a nice clean install as long as you use the right materials (i.e. 22-24awg wire, shrink wrap)

just thought i'd share, becuase I know these issues will hijack the thread.

Look nice!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LAFENGAS said:
Looks Excellent, I'm in the middle of completeing my LED DDE's as well. What ohm resistors did you end up using and what wattage? I will be using 1/2 watt, 330ohm resistors to each LED. Let me know.

BTW, to clear up isues I saw with using LED's before.

-They do not burn out easily unless you use too much current through them. (need resistors).

-They are NOT difficult to solder.

-You DO NOT need to color match them at all. If you have the same reistance at each LED, they will emit the same light intensity

-They are a nice clean install as long as you use the right materials (i.e. 22-24awg wire, shrink wrap)

just thought i'd share, becuase I know these issues will hijack the thread.

Look nice!
I am using 1/2 watt 220ohms.

I use 18 guage wire, not as easy to bend as 22 guage, but can supply more current.

I connect the wire to the ECU wire that will still have electricity 10s after you key is off the car. So you can still enjoy the DDE when you are walking away from your car.

·
Banned
1,223 Posts
peterlai said:

I am using 1/2 watt 220ohms.

I use 18 guage wire, not as easy to bend as 22 guage, but can supply more current.

I connect the wire to the ECU wire that will still have electricity 10s after you key is off the car. So you can still enjoy the DDE when you are walking away from your car.

I understand using higher gauge wire, but just so you know... Unless your wire is over 10' long, there is no benefit to using 18awg versus 22awg wire. Mainly because your LED and resistor leads (very small cross-sectional diameter) cancel out the use of larger gauge wire. just and FYI.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts