BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely want to step up to more power...BMW has much more awesome looks, but the s4 gets pretty damn good reviews (all wheel drive sounds fun!) and its a little less expensive.

I've had 2 e46's in a row ('99 328i and '03 330i), both fully loaded with everything I could get except navigation and ski package. I'm going to want my m3 or s4 loaded as well.

What do you guys think? I haven't driven either one yet...has anyone here driven both? :hmm:

·
Registered
91 Posts
honeslty I havent driven both, but as far as I am concerned, I would go S4 in a heart beat. It looks like you had your share of e46's and maybe time to try something else? I had the previous generation A4 and it was a blast to drive in the snow and on wet pavement. Also, if space is a concern, considering you had 2 four doors before, you might be better off with the S4. Then again nothing beats a test drive. Good luck!

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,120 Posts
You MUST test drive an S4. It has such a smooth ride. My car rides so nicely that I don't want to mod it, but I'm sure I will eventualy. S4 all the way, and it's very practical.

Of course if you're still torn, I saw a c6 Corvette on the road today, I'd take that over an M3.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would lean towards the BMW M3 since you will be getting one of the last production M3's of the E46 bodystyle. Also I like the interior better on the M3 than the Audi's. But I would drive them both and buy what you like.

·
Registered
53 Posts
drove both M3 and S4.... i bought a M3.. why?? S4 in my opinion looks too plain in the front end... but there is a nice body kit out there i saw... forgot the name.... M3... lighter... more spirited... better gas milage (both cars suck at mpg anyways) Both cars love to drink gas like there is no tormorrow....

It's totally up to u... S4 is more comfortable..... but M3 looks better in my opinion... reliability?? well.. both cars had engine problems... and they both have remedies.. covered under warrenty... i dont think except for the bearing recall on pre 5/2003 M3 models.... anything produced after seems fine.

Interior.... well.. i dont like the S4 sunroof thing.... turning dials to open and close?? ehh not my style... Leather seems to be more plush on S4.... m3 has more "sporty" feelings to the seats....

You have to test drive both..... S4 is easy to get a test drive... M3... well... in socal.. they really wont let you.. i dont know what state u are from...

·
Registered
776 Posts
kormaster said:
Interior.... well.. i dont like the S4 sunroof thing.... turning dials to open and close?? ehh not my style...
I test drove an R32 and I was actually very impressed by that dial control. It is very intuitive, you can select it to go half way open and that's what it does, you don't have to hold it while it opens halfway or stop it once it gets there. I can see not liking it, but I was pretty impressed with it.

I am very impressed that There is like a 50/50 split between S4/M3, I thought the concensus would heavily favor the M3 on this board, glad to see there are open minded people here.

They are obviously both awesome cars, If you actually intend to race at all I'd probably go for the M3, and I doubt you have too much need for the all wheel drive San Diego. If the 2 extra doors and addtional space would be useful to you, I'm sure the S4 would be a lot more practical. The S4 seems to be more suited as a daily driver than the M3, not that there aren't lots of M3 daily drivers, but like I said, the S4 is obviously more practical.

-Jer

·
Mod Squad
12,623 Posts
M3.

May as well lease one while they still look good, after your M3 lease is up then I say jump ship to the Audi camp. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just test drive and see which one u liek better, they are just about equally fast in the 1/4 mile, s4's a new platform, so id pick that one...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Impressive feedback...very open minded board...

Yeah, this is going to be a tough decision...I agree with several posters that the m3 looks much more impressive, but even this board and audiworld.com give the s4 a lot of respect. I may end up going with the s4 due to company policy regarding what kind of car you can get if you're on a car allowance. 4 doors is a lot more useful taking customers out....but, damn I like the e46 m3 styling better. I'm going to go drive the s4 today at Mira Mar Audi in San Diego. Then I'll see if I can talk Shelly BMW into letting me drive an m3 with SMG. I leased the last two cars from Shelly and have at least a little bit of a good rapport with the sales manager. By the way, I highly recommend Shelly BMW. They have been great to work with. But San Diego BMW swears they've changed their arrogant ways...won't hurt to give them a shot at my business.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts... :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
The S4 is a fine automobile. And its looks are on the cutting edge, for a washing machine maybe. Audi simply went too conservative with the S4's styling. How can this model come from the same group that gives us the TT, and others.

·
Registered
67 Posts
dude i love both cars,...but i kida dont appreciate that you can get a 1.8t with an unltrasport package and then no 1 will tell the difference between it and the S4, doesnt cut it for me, i look for something unique when i purchase a car of the magnitude of the M3.

just my feeluings towards the situation and i dont think Audi put enough effort into making its S4 customers get something unique.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Get the M3 all the way maybe get this Club Sport Pck. I have no idea what the deal with it is but get it. The S4 look so similar to the A4 IMO. The M3 jsut looks 100x better, exterior and interior. And Audis are girl cars...But choose ase you please. Thats jsut my two cents.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,495 Posts
Ive driven both...M3 if you want a sporty fun car...S4 if you want a powerful quiet luxurious ride...so basically the question is: Are you a man or a girl? haha JK

·
Banned
277 Posts
He is a man thats why he is getting a M3...OK not a girlish S4. We clear, your getting a M3. And to be honest I only see girls driving the S4s I see and deff only see girls driving A4s there are about 6 A4s all driven by girls at my school...Every M3 I see is under controll of a man.

·
Registered
67 Posts
2002GarrettTII said:
Get the M3 all the way maybe get this Club Sport Pck. I have no idea what the deal with it is but get it. The S4 look so similar to the A4 IMO. The M3 jsut looks 100x better, exterior and interior. And Audis are girl cars...But choose ase you please. Thats jsut my two cents.
actually i know exactly what it comes with:

it cost an additional $4000 and it comes with totally recalibrated suspension, 19" forged alloy wheels, QUICKER STEERING, and new DSC mode for track use so that you can drive track and have a little dsc kick in but not as much as usual (which is a button on the steering wheel called M Mode), and the rotors are bigger and they are cross drilled as well.

and there is a new interior color with that package, some sort of new blue.

hope this helps..and if anyone springs for the $2000 extra for 19's just pay an additional $2000 and you get the 19's and a lot fo other crazy sh!t.

·
Banned
277 Posts
damn, its as close as Americans will ever get to a CSL...You gotta get the M3 man Sport Club Pck

1 - 20 of 55 Posts