BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It will not harm anything if you don’t fix it for three weeks, so you have the option.
Fair point, I’m gonna pull back on the purchase for a couple of days since I just ordered power steering hose kit and other things. I’ll end up going with FCP tbh, I do like using their services.

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hello, got the MAF replaced, the idle search on the car seems to have improved a lot. I still have not driven far/long enough to declare that the issue is gone.

I will hopefully be doing a long distance drive over the weekend to test properly.

Thank you to everyone on here for the input and assistance! I will update the thread as soon as she clears the long distance drive. Take care all!

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Do the Vanos seals as well. $60 for the Beisen seals and a few bucks more for the Vanos oil line washers, camshaft sensor o-rings and new Vanos gasket.

It makes a difference.
I beat ya too all of that already

Changed all of that about 7 months ago

Also replaced the vanos oil line with the power steering refresh I did 2 weekends ago

I think I will soon make full circle with the maintenance, I started with replacing the OFHG and CCV exactly 2 years and 3 months ago. I got rid of the CCV for the m56 VC, but the OFHG seems like it could do with replacing again

Unfortunately when I first got this car, I treated it like a Mazda/Honda and got a cheapo OFHG... one of the only parts that I cheaper out on, FCP here I come.

Thank you Arch, I highly appreciate your input and advice!

EDIT: I still need to replace the rear whee bearing too!! Almost forgot about those. (I have them sitting collecting dust, I have the kit to replace them, the time is the problem).

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I actually want to update my DME, I’ve been seeing Bali posts/threads about it, improving throttle responses and so on, my main reason to update it, I want to standardize everything and I am failing emissions test passes through fusion.

Also, I did a manual swap and plenty of retrofits (LCM upgrade, light/rain sensor, etc.) which I partially, I did through BMW scanner and partially through inpa.

It’s really intimidating looking at all of it, I need some time to gather all the info and pursue this.

I also fear that I lose any functionality due to a coding issue I make or something. Haha quite intimidating and lots of reading in my future.

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I got the lean code again... so it’s not the MAF. I uploaded the latest logs to the same google drive location. “After new MAF”.

I am starting to wonder if I do have a vacuum leak, I checked it yesterday via smoke test and there is 0 smoke to trace...

The other possible cause is injectors, I know most say that it’s probably not... but that’s the only part I have not cleaned/inspected. Thoughts?

Could the P0174 code be triggered if the catalytic converters are to effective? I did get after market cats (Bosal).

Thanks!

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I’m grasping at straws here;

After the MAF replacement P0714 definitely doesn’t happen as often. This code is for bank 2, could this mean that one of the O2 sensors is going bad?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,696 Posts
Just to remind us:
You already replaced the pre-cat o2 sensors, right? Which brand?
Which brand of fuel pump did you buy?
Have you tested fuel pressure at the rail?
Have you replaced the sap solenoid hose behind the manifold and the caps on the rear of the manifold?

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just to remind us:
You already replaced the pre-cat o2 sensors, right? Which brand?
Which brand of fuel pump did you buy?
Have you tested fuel pressure at the rail?
Have you replaced the sap solenoid hose behind the manifold and the caps on the rear of the manifold?
All O2’s were replaced with Bosch units
Bosch fuel pump + fuel unit. Mahle fuel filter.
I have not tested fuel pressure yet. (I will do that this weekend)

I’m not sure what hose you are referring to, if it’s the one from the sap to the head valve, yes, if it’s the tiny rubber hoses on either side of the engine then yes (4 and 7), if it’s the long, thin plastic hose (3) then no.

I am not aware of the caps on the manifold? - that could be it haha. And I cannot seem to find them on RealOEM.

Thank you!! Please let me know if I got the right hoses you’re referring to.

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now that I am looking at that diagram I sent... the hose after the on/off valve (7 that I didn’t circle) could be the issue. I will check that one ASAP.

I haven’t replaced that and the smoke tester I have doesn’t have high pressure so the smoke might not be getting through that small passage way.

Thank you so much! I will send an update as soon as I check!

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,696 Posts

I’m not sure what hose you are referring to, if it’s the one from the sap to the head valve, yes, if it’s the tiny rubber hoses on either side of the engine then yes (4 and 7), if it’s the long, thin plastic hose (3) then no.

I am not aware of the caps on the manifold? - that could be it haha. And I cannot seem to find them on RealOEM.

Thank you!! Please let me know if I got the right hoses you’re referring to.
Replace the hose from the sap to the solenoid - I highly recommend silicon hose. Also the short hoses from the solenoid to the one-way valve and from their to the manifold. Where that final short hose attaches to the manifold there are two small nipples and one large one. The line from the one-way valve attaches to one of them.

The other small nipple is for a short hose from the manifold to the vacuum canister (if you have the exhaust flap). Replace that hose as well.

There is also a larger nipple that is capped. At this age the cap is often missing or cracked, and is a common source of leaks.

Other sources of leaks include the lower dipstick tube and dipstick o-rings, the disa seal, the valve cover gasket, air distribution manifold o-rings, the ccv, the upper and lower intake boots, the f-connector and the fuel filter hose, the oil pan gasket and the intake seal.

Also make sure the nipple on the ccv has a cap.

this thread has a good picture of the nipples

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,696 Posts
I have no experience with the Bosch fuel pump, but the recommended vendor for that component is VDO/Siemens. A pressure test should let you know if you are ok.

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Replace the hose from the sap to the solenoid - I highly recommend silicon hose. Also the short hoses from the solenoid to the one-way valve and from their to the manifold. Where that final short hose attaches to the manifold there are two small nipples and one large one. The line from the one-way valve attaches to one of them.

The other small nipple is for a short hose from the manifold to the vacuum canister (if you have the exhaust flap). Replace that hose as well.

There is also a larger nipple that is capped. At this age the cap is often missing or cracked, and is a common source of leaks.

Other sources of leaks include the lower dipstick tube and dipstick o-rings, the disa seal, the valve cover gasket, air distribution manifold o-rings, the ccv, the oil pan gasket and the intake seal.

Also make sure the nipple on the ccv has a cap.
Perfect. I now have a laundry list to look at.

I have not checked any of those nipple caps or the vac lines for the sap system.

Dipstick tube seal, disa seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket have been replaced (got the m56 valve cover with new membrane so ccv is good).

By Intake seal, you are referring to the intake manifold seal? (Dreading that job....)

I will start with a fuel pressure test at the rail and the sap vacuum lines this weekend, those escaped my vision, I will also replace those nipple caps as precautions.

If that still doesn’t resolve my the CEL, I’ll be doing the intake manifold + plastic coolant lines (I know... I should anyway... and I will eventually)

Thanks a million! This gives me many routes to check. I really appreciate your time!

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have also been thinking, about the disa valve; is there a more accurate test than flipping the flap, holding the vent?

My disa returns half way when I do that, but from my understanding the vacuum that the intake creates versus the vacuum that the flap creates when doing this “test” is obviously completely different.

The disa seal definitely doesn’t leak and I believe it’s working as intended but I would rather be 100% sure than just believing.

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Quick update, it was raining all weekend so I couldn’t check the intake manifold, but it’s been about 5 days since the last CEL.

I still want to investigate those small hoses and caps. As soon as the weather permits it...

·
Registered
BMW 325i 2001 Manual
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Great! Keep plugging, you will get everything back in order - it is only the rubber stuff that is causing issues, not the block!
Very true! As you suggested, I’ll definitely be using silicone hoses. Great suggestion!

I’ve been working on this car myself for the past year and it’s almost there! Cant wait until I make full circle (OFHG replacement was the first item).

21 - 40 of 80 Posts