BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was just reading the thread the bobm3 posted about being able to rev the car in neutral and drop it into gear. Can anyone confirm this? Essentially from a stop put the car into neutral and rev to say 3500 RPM. Then slide the car into gear and see what happens.... any takers? I would do this but my M3 is still in the shop ...



AdamR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
yes this is true. set dsc off then shift select button over to last position set the shift lever forward and hold it...... then stomp on the gas. the rpms will go up then stay around 3500 and once you release the lever get ready to lay some rubber.
NICE OPTION.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I read that with Euro programming, it will rev much higher, something on the order of 6500 rpm.

Of course, the trade-off is that the computer is supposed to remember everytime it's done, this info can be brought up by a dealer, and if it's discovered to have been done 15 times, the warranty is voided.

Probably not a good idea to have a valet park your SMG E46 M3 if it has the Euro programming...:eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright ... I SAID WITHOUT LAUNCH CONTROL. The method that you describe M3S52 is called launch control. The method I am curious about is instead when you rev in neutral and slap into gear.

AdamR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
Nope !

Nope, NOT TRUE ! You cannot have the SMG in "0" gear, rev it, throw into gear and have a "launch" !! NOpe nope ! Someone gave you misleading info.

There is definitely a conisderable amount of time lag between the car switchin from "0" to "1" gear, let alone having a good launch.

__ m __

digitalgm said:
Alright ... I SAID WITHOUT LAUNCH CONTROL. The method that you describe M3S52 is called launch control. The method I am curious about is instead when you rev in neutral and slap into gear.

AdamR
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Nope !

Yes, I am very skeptical about it as well .... But bobm3 in this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55005 says it is very possible and he has done it multiple times. Would you consider trying it out for the good of the community? Make sure to put sport ON, DSC OFF, and shift mode S6.

AdamR



manik said:
Nope, NOT TRUE ! You cannot have the SMG in "0" gear, rev it, throw into gear and have a "launch" !! NOpe nope ! Someone gave you misleading info.

There is definitely a conisderable amount of time lag between the car switchin from "0" to "1" gear, let alone having a good launch.

__ m __

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
M3S52 said:
yes this is true. set dsc off then shift select button over to last position set the shift lever forward and hold it...... then stomp on the gas. the rpms will go up then stay around 3500 and once you release the lever get ready to lay some rubber.
NICE OPTION.
ruteger said:
I read that with Euro programming, it will rev much higher, something on the order of 6500 rpm.

Of course, the trade-off is that the computer is supposed to remember everytime it's done, this info can be brought up by a dealer, and if it's discovered to have been done 15 times, the warranty is voided.

Probably not a good idea to have a valet park your SMG E46 M3 if it has the Euro programming...:eek:
Let's stop propegating myths/misinformation. Since the BobM3 thread was deleted, here's a link to a discussion with the facts.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...page=25&highlight=launch control&pagenumber=2

-jim
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JESUS .... this is not a frucking thread about launch control. It is about NOT using launch control!!!!!

AdamR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
digitalgm said:
JESUS .... this is not a frucking thread about launch control. It is about NOT using launch control!!!!!

AdamR
As I believe I stated in the BobM3 thread (that is now gone), you cannot launch by revving the engine in neutral and slamming it into first gear while the revs are up. My post was a direct response to the misconceptions I quoted, not to your question.

-jim
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want someone to actually try this. No more speculation by NON M3 owners .... Why was bobs thread deleted?

AdamR

jim said:


As I believe I stated in the BobM3 thread (that is now gone), you cannot launch by revving the engine in neutral and slamming it into first gear while the revs are up. My post was a direct response to the misconceptions I quoted, not to your question.

-jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
digitalgm said:
I want someone to actually try this. No more speculation by NON M3 owners .... Why was bobs thread deleted?

AdamR

I assume because of the flames he was receiving by some of the members :dunno: . BobM3 is the only person I have heard claim to do this. . .I'd be very hesitant to try it.

-jim
 

·
Bimmerless
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
jim said:


I assume because of the flames he was receiving by some of the members :dunno: . BobM3 is the only person I have heard claim to do this. . .I'd be very hesitant to try it.

-jim
This morning: I pull the stick out of Sequential (S-Mode), put it into 0 (neautral). Attempted to move it back to S-mode, its locked, you must depress on the brake for it to go back to S-mode.

Now, Im not sure if you go from S to O, rev really quick, and pop it back to S, if the lock doesnt occur. I am not willing to find this out on MY car. Whether or not this is possible, I really dont think its healthy for the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Anthony said:
I am not willing to find this out on MY car. Whether or not this is possible, I really dont think its healthy for the car.
True, and I'm not convinced that launching above the ~1800 RPMs afforded by LC would even benefit acceleration enough (or at all) to justify the risk.

The only other method I've heard of for launching (other than BobM3's assertion, and LC) is discussed here. . .to date, no one has stated that they've been able to make it work: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64938

-jim
 

·
Member
Joined
·
923 Posts
Anthony said:


This morning: I pull the stick out of Sequential (S-Mode), put it into 0 (neautral). Attempted to move it back to S-mode, its locked, you must depress on the brake for it to go back to S-mode.

Now, Im not sure if you go from S to O, rev really quick, and pop it back to S, if the lock doesnt occur. I am not willing to find this out on MY car. Whether or not this is possible, I really dont think its healthy for the car.
I can go to R - 0 - 1 without touching the brake.. i've even revved the engine alittle in 0 when i slid it to 1 but did not depress the accelerator hard enough to tell any difference.
 

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Bobs thread was BS thats probably why it was gone, the system is designed against doing that
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
668 Posts
Guys I know it is possible to launch higher then 1800 rpm with US software. I read something about it on bimmerforums but didnt try it yet, ill go out in a little bit and give it a shot and see if I can do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
The question really is why would you want to launch higher then want LC can do? If you launch at 6K RPM, all you would do is sit and burn out your tires.... pretty good way to lose a race wouldn't ya say?

If you wanted to do a burn out, LC has two modes: Race Mode and Burnout Mode. Just depends on whether you press the gas pedal fast or stomp the living crap out of it.
 

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
Joined
·
12,960 Posts
jim said:


As I believe I stated in the BobM3 thread (that is now gone), you cannot launch by revving the engine in neutral and slamming it into first gear while the revs are up. My post was a direct response to the misconceptions I quoted, not to your question.

-jim
hello jim

guess who, its me bobm3 . did you ever heard of ultima performence. do me a favor call the shop owner. he is buying a 2003 m3. and guess what.he says you could shift at 6,000rpm.
i take it you don't drive stick. but call him if you trust is opion
and post what he tells you number is
1516 593 3500
thank you bobm3
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top