BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sorta lost on this launching thing in my car....
e46 325ci manual
so i rev to like 4 or 5 with DSC off then slowly bring it up..drop it..i dont get it??
whats the best way to start off quick? HELP!!!!!:dunno:

·
Registered
66 Posts
im no pro but ill give it a shot...

its tough on a 325 i think, cause the power is just at the edge where it is easy to bogg it by not having enuf gas...

you got the right idea, rev to torque peak...about 3500+...let out the clutch and step on the gas at the same time...not fast...slow and controlled...paying attention to your car...stay loose, relaxed

try to kep the rpm constant while the wheels catch up to the engine, while applying as much pressure as possible without spinning or bogging...

is it spinning? less gas, little less clutch...(325 usually not a prob)

or bogging? less clutch...more gas...

small adjustments...

once the wheels catch up with your engine then let the clutch out all the way...(at this point you should be floored)

on a 325, bogging is your biggest problem...so go ahead...give it the gas and drop it...spinn em, dont be afraid to burn some rubber...

try not to apply your cluch at 5000 rpm tho, this will burn it out pretty quick...in fact, 3500 will burn her nice too...i actually felt my cluch adjust itself from a waek position at the end of a few launches... :thumbup:

like i was told, "if you think your burning out your clutch, your doing it right"

definately remember to turn the dsc off :)

besides that, have fun, and just give it time...ive had my car a year and im still learning...

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea ive tried that but i guess i cant get it to work..i dont know what im doing wrong!! :banghead:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I launch at 2500 where there is little slip and more grip

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
i just put it in sport and floor

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sport?
i dont have that?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
p0tpie said:
i just put it in sport and floor

Me Too, except after I go in sport mode I pull the left paddle and I'm gone!!!:pimpin:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Unless you want to replace it, let your clutch out all at once. You don't have to side step it, but letting your clutch out "slow and controlled" will lessen its life.

Try reving your engine twice and launching on the second. I found this has often provided better launches on lesser-powered cars.

At any rate, practice makes perfect. Happy smoking!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, letting the clutch out slow will do a "clutch burn" which'll just lead to a nice toasty, burnt smell. Letting it out fast will allow the clutch to catch right away and let the tires do the catching.

·
Registered
66 Posts
well, a drop will spin your tires and this will negatively affect your 60 times...and i was trying to outline the ideal launch...

but ya, your clutch will suffer...and dropping it for a little spin is more fun anyway...

a 325 wont spin for long...

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
rofl we're talking about automatics

1 - 14 of 14 Posts