BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I for one really like the design of the new LED taillights so I took a visit to my local friendly parts dept. to ask about them. I learned some new info and also some bad news. Apparently they didn't have any 3/03 build E46's for me to even see the lights but...

1) the lights are not even out yet in the parts catalog.

2) Being that they are "smart" lights and sense the speed of the brake pedal and modulate the brightness in direct relation, the guy said most likely it won't be a direct bolt on. It makes sense since the LED wattage and current draws is radically different from a filament bulb. That is why when we put LED bulbs in our sockets, it triggers the bad bulb indicator.

3) If there is a retrofit kit, it will take quite some time for it to be release....

thus bad news for us is that hate it or luv it, we can't have it for now. :(

I still want to know if that CLEAR LED section on top blinks amber or red? Anyone can confirm???

thanks,
rick

·
Registered
650 Posts
Glad I don't like it then :D

I would have said the Clear LED's would have to blink Amber becuase in the UK/Europe they have to be amber ? (I'm hoping we talking about same Clear bit hehe)

Stuart.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,771 Posts
i HATE the fact that the coupes now get the same reverse light design as the sedans, with the stupid red part surrounding the clear part...

-brendan

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
s4play said:
Apparently they didn't have any 3/03 build E46's for me to even see the lights but...

1) the lights are not even out yet in the parts catalog.
i dont want to be an ass, but how could they have march production cars in january?

parts come out about a month after cars arrive here, FYI; installation will require some rewiring, and perhaps a brake control unit, which will be pricey non the less. YOu can always ghetto rig them to jsut light up completely when you hit the brakes (they arent totally adaptive, the 7 series ones are 2 stage)

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well RichP, apparently there are people who have gotten such build date cars so there goes your logic on that.....

I always thought manufacturers build cars way in advance hence the fact that they are selling 04 cars by late 03 year. This has been a custom for many companies for years now.

btw, I find your sig a little odd stating the companies you don't work for....LOL funny

Derek330xi: Thanks man for the picture! I guess that confirms it, I'll stay with my 02 lenses that blink red. (save me some cash too which I always like! :)

peace,
rk

·
Registered
207 Posts
s4play said:
2) Being that they are "smart" lights and sense the speed of the brake pedal and modulate the brightness in direct relation, the guy said most likely it won't be a direct bolt on.
good thing they are butt ugly :puke:

take that mod bug

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,316 Posts
I don't care what it costs, I really like those LED tailights, and lots of the newer high-end cars use the LED technology, so I'm definitely going to retrofit the LEDs into my E46! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Man....!!!

I want those, too bad...anyways, Rick, u changed your rims to GT3s??? Y? Don't like the Senekas???

·
Big in Japan
1,358 Posts
there is noone with a march build date car; by definition..BUILD DATE; not model year. (I understand the 3/03s will start an early 04 year) The pics circulating around are from the LA and Detroit autoshows.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well RichP, apparently there are people who have gotten such build date cars so there goes your logic on that.....
Please find me one person who has a March 2003 build car already - I'd really want to talk to them. Rich is right - we're talking BUILD date (eg 'born on date') not a Model Year or anything. MY's are almost nothing more than marketing terms - but build dates are dates when a car is actually put together. I have a problem believing anyone has a car right now that is to be built in March of this year (eg the future.)

:dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts